Switching egg postition

TabbyLynn23

Hatching
Sep 28, 2023
I have eggs on day 7 in their incubation cycle. I unexpectedly am getting more eggs that need to be incubated but they will not fit in the other incubator I have. Would it be okay to move eggs on day 7 from laying on their side, to an upright incubator? Or should I figure something else out? Thank you for any advice!

Well I think so, tho I haven’t done it. But mama hen’s eggs end up every which way, so I assume it won’t matter. They are being turned, right?

Well I think so, tho I haven’t done it. But mama hen’s eggs end up every which way, so I assume it won’t matter. They are being turned, right?
Yes! It's just an incubator that turns them while on their side. That is a good perspective, I didn't even think about it that way! That makes me feel better.

An option is to put them upright in a carton and tilt the carton a few times a day to simulate turning. I don't know if that will save enough space for the other eggs.
This is really only appropriate if it is a forced air incubator. Otherwise, thermal stratification in a still air will cause about a 1F difference between the high side and the low side.

I wanted to add that the first 2 weeks are most critical for egg turning. After that it isn't as critical because the extraembryonic membranes are already formed by then.

Back
Top Bottom