Switching Feed - LOCAL - Thoughts On This Ingredient List?

I don’t want to see anyone bashing each other about “conspiracy theories”. So; don’t. I’m aware of all that’s going around but I’m switching feeds because of what I am seeing.

Now that that’s out of the way; since I’ve switched to Purina All Flock; I have noticed a substantial decline in the look and behavior of my flock of 8 hens and a rooster, all 6 months to a year.

I have one I am trying to save right now. I have another thread on that. I’ve been to the vet; it didn’t help. I’m trying what I’ve learned here. Yes; I’m upset. Probably something I neglected to see early enough etc etc etc. She’s my favorite hen; in my picture and my little sidekick. Yes; I’m upset.

Anyway; I am looking at a local feed mill for their feed. I’m concerned about putting my rooster on it because of reading things about layer feed and the calcium contents impact over time to the health of a rooster. Below is an ingredients tag. No calcium listed so I am assuming means will continue the oyster shell.

I’m looking for someone with more knowledge to look this over and tell me what I need to be supplementing the chickens with if I switch over to this local feed. I need to make sure I am doing my due diligence. How does this feed look to you?

I appreciate it.

View attachment 3394818
Calcium carbonate is the 5th (and 10th) ingredient listed; it may not give it as a percentage, but the ingredients are listed in rank order, so there is plenty of calcium in there, as one would expect from anything called 'layer' feed, and the feed instructions also flag up it is for laying hens.

It looks like a pretty good feed to me. Lots of good stuff for your birds' gut microbiome, and that's what needs to work well for a healthy bird.

Feed their chick starter instead of their layer feed. It will be nearly the same thing without the calcium. It might have a bit higher protein which isn't a problem.

I would not be worried about the simple tag because it looks like they used a standard formula or standard formula plus some probiotics - even better. I think so because it uses soybeans and fishmeal for protein as well as having DL Methionine and the other standard trace things in the ingredients.

It is somewhat high in fat so don't feed high fat treats like mealworms or sunflower seeds.

Then offer calcium on the side... most people use oyster shell or eggshells. It should be available all the time; they well eat what they need and no more.

If it is ground feed or whole rather than pellets or crumbles, they won't be able to eat the powder that sifts out. They need that because it has the vitamins, minerals, and such. So every few days, at least, mix some water into it. They can then eat the mush.

This is what I've done all along (except for one bag this winter to try pellets).

I’ll look into their starter. Thanks!

Calcium carbonate is the 5th (and 10th) ingredient listed; it may not give it as a percentage, but the ingredients are listed in rank order, so there is plenty of calcium in there, as one would expect from anything called 'layer' feed, and the feed instructions also flag up it is for laying hens.

It looks like a pretty good feed to me. Lots of good stuff for your birds' gut microbiome, and that's what needs to work well for a healthy bird.

Thanks for that. I’m just worried about the roosters calcium intake. Some say “it’s fine” vet says too much is a risk for him.

This looks to be a great feed. It's not common now a days to see an animal protein.

The label clearly lists calcium. It's just not presented as a percentage. The first calcium ingredient by quantity starts after the fish meal. Ingredients lists are sorted from highest quantity to least in a recipe.

The bag is labeled "laying pellets" which also tells you calcium is present in higher percentage for the layers. My assumption is it would be the typical 3-4% range but you could ask the mill.

Typical all flock, starter, grower, finisher feeds is 1% calcium. If a laying feed is not what you want then purchase one of the other products from the mill. They must offer grower, finisher, meat bird, non medicated starter, turkey grower and so forth. Any of those is an all flock feed with 1% calcium. Find the one with the protein percentage you want, and in pellet form if that's what you feed. I use a Turkey Finisher from my local mill that's 20% protein, 1% calcium and in pellet form. Cost $17/ 50 lbs bag. Last week I ran out and picked up Blue Seal All Flock at the local hardware store and cringed when they billed me $22 for a bag.

Excessive calcium heath issues take years to express in cock birds. Issues for pre lay pullets take months of feeding that excess calcium. Honestly it's more of a concern for young pullets. Typical lifespan of cocks before being invited to dinner in a year or two isn't a concern. If wanting a long lived cock then layer feed is not advised. Nothing wrong with a bag of layer feed now and then though. It's the constant excess over long periods that causes problems.

Last edited:
I wish my mill offered more two choices for chickens, maybe Owl Creek's mill does. If so, choose one of those Egghead listed because it might be ground a little less fine. Then you wouldn't have as many fines to soak. Or it might not be ground differently. I tried the layer here when they were all laying - it wasn't much different.

I can't remember if I asked if mine had other bird mixes - I think I did hoping for more than 17% protein. It has been a while.

Small local feed mills who formulate and mill their own feeds will have compete analysis done on the products. Why it's not listed on the tag I don't know. Probably a cost or could be to protect the formula. They do have what is required by law listed on the tag but nothing more. Ask for a print out of the compete analysis. If they refuse and you like the product, send out a sample for analysis. Equi-Analytical has been my go to lab.

We had an issue with our laying hens with buying the "Big Name" "Big Box Store" layer feed since about 6 months ago so we turned to our little local feed store where they mix and bag both layer and non layer feed and have an amazing analysis sheet they give with it and is endorsed by our local farm vet and wow what a difference all of our hens were very low on energy and went off the lay for a while as soon as we switched to our local blend the we're back up full of life and energy and starting laying reliably again I would suggest if you have a local feed store to talk to the folks that run it and work there tell them what you are seeing and a lot of times they collaborate with local vets on animal feed and supplements at least where we are in Oklahoma

@U_Stormcrow

Hi @Owl Creek does the feed have a different ingredients list on their website with more specific percentages? I buy local feed also, and have chosen to feed my flock starter/grower as opposed to the layer because the protein is lower & calcium too high for roosters & baby chicks. I like to feed at least 20% protein when possible, but especially in the winter. Do you have a tag for their starter/grower feed to see those ingredients? I love buying local as the feed is always fresh and hasn’t been sitting in a warehouse or on a truck for weeks.

Thanks for that. I’m just worried about the roosters calcium intake. Some say “it’s fine” vet says too much is a risk for him.

Your vet is correct. That said, its complicated. As Paracelsus said, "the dosage is the poison". I liken it to smoking cigarettes.

Here are a few of my older posts. No time to type today.

Here

and here

also here

lots more links

TY for asking, hope that helps you do your own research and decide what's best for you and your flock. For most, I recommend this.

Back
Top Bottom