Switching Feeds

3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
I'm considering switching my feed to one produced by a local company (Reedy Fork Farm) after hearing some positive things. They specialize in organic & soy-free feed and the price is only a few bucks more than what I'm currently spending.

I've already reached to them to get some specific percentages regarding ingredients, but the list is Organic Corn, Organic Wheat, Organic Oats, Organic Sesame Meal, Organic Flaxseed Meal, Crab Meal, Aragonite + Fertrell Poultry Nutri-balancer.

I compared the ingredient list from the organic feed, current feed (Kalmbach), and Mazuri. The main things that are missing from the organic feed are additive amino acid complex and lysine. Mazuri does not list extra amino acids, so adding in the lysine can be accomplished by including lentils into the feed.

I guess my main thoughts I keep trailing around is it wise to switch feeds during laying season? Is anyone currently feeding a soy-free organic mix and seen positives/negatives?

My goals are to get back to doing fermented feed and try to get as close to Mazuri as I can while saving a bit. Mostly looking out to all the new additions this spring that will be hiking up the feed bill a bit.

editing to add: it was really fun to deep dive into all the ingredients and what role they play in building a balanced feed.

Last edited:
Don't get to caught up on comparing ingredients. Is better to monitor the egg production, and their condition. If their condition stays the same and the eggs stay the same and you pay less that's a win. If you pay more but get more eggs and their feathers shine like newly lacquered wood that's probably a win too.

Don't get to caught up on comparing ingredients. Is better to monitor the egg production, and their condition. If their condition stays the same and the eggs stay the same and you pay less that's a win. If you pay more but get more eggs and their feathers shine like newly lacquered wood that's probably a win too.
Sounds fair and good markers for improvement 👍

I'm considering switching my feed to one produced by a local company (Reedy Fork Farm) after hearing some positive things. They specialize in organic & soy-free feed and the price is only a few bucks more than what I'm currently spending.

I've already reached to them to get some specific percentages regarding ingredients, but the list is Organic Corn, Organic Wheat, Organic Oats, Organic Sesame Meal, Organic Flaxseed Meal, Crab Meal, Aragonite + Fertrell Poultry Nutri-balancer.

I compared the ingredient list from the organic feed, current feed (Kalmbach), and Mazuri. The main things that are missing from the organic feed are additive amino acid complex and lysine. Mazuri does not list extra amino acids, so adding in the lysine can be accomplished by including lentils into the feed.

I guess my main thoughts I keep trailing around is it wise to switch feeds during laying season? Is anyone currently feeding a soy-free organic mix and seen positives/negatives?

My goals are to get back to doing fermented feed and try to get as close to Mazuri as I can while saving a bit. Mostly looking out to all the new additions this spring that will be hiking up the feed bill a bit.

editing to add: it was really fun to deep dive into all the ingredients and what role they play in building a balanced feed.
I use Reedy Fork organic soy free layer feed. I ferment the feed. In my opinion it is a great product. I have also liked New Country trying out the two.

I use Reedy Fork organic soy free layer feed. I ferment the feed. In my opinion it is a great product. I have also liked New Country trying out the two.

Since making the switch I am a fan of how easy it is to ferment, but for one of my girls, it has turned her eggs fishy. All their percentages of omega-3's are low enough that it shouldn't happen, but she is a small duck so I'm wondering if it's overwhelming for her.

@Psalm118 Would you *please please* post a pic of the Reedy Fork soy free (corn free?) feed?
I can't get them to email a pic, or put one on their website, and they flat out refuse to answer what percentage of peas/powder is in it.
I'm about ot have to start making my own feed. Sick of wasting money on bags of peas and dust.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom