Switching Incubators One Week In?

Marten

Chirping
Sep 7, 2022
On Sunday, I started 21 eggs in an incubator that was borrowed from a friend, as they are quite pricy here in Ireland and there aren't many good/cheap options that can handle more than a dozen eggs. However, today I've found out that the one time that they used the incubator, they only had about a 20% success rate with the majority of chicks fully forming and then just failing to hatch. The eggs used in that hatch were from their own flock, so there would have been no issues with transported/shipped eggs (my eggs are from a breeder).

I'm regretting my decision at this point and wondering if it would ruin the eggs if I splashed out on a new incubator and moved them over? They're currently in a River EggTech with an automatic turning tray (the type that lean the eggs from side to side), and I'd be wanting to buy one of the Brisnea incubators that would have the eggs laying on their side with the automatic rotating gears. Would this work, or would the change in incubator/type of turning motion harm the eggs? Or do I need to suck it up and just accept that this batch as a likely loss and a lesson learned to get my own incubator next time?

It's not the rotation that gets success, it's the accuracy of temperature and humidity in the incubator. And overall fresh air flow that mixes with the incubator but still maintaining temperature and humidity.

Using a hygrometer will show you what's going on in the incubator. And let's you know if you need to make adjustments.

I change out incubators all the time so I wouldn't worry if you are going from a poor incubator to a better quality one. There are many times that I have started eggs in a styrofoam incubator then transfer to my rcom. However my rcom is on its way out I'm finding and I may have to go the other way this time around but it will be my last hatch of the year so I'm holding on. Time for me to get another incubator. Just don't want spend the money right now. I may rebuild mine if I can find the parts and price is affordable.

On Sunday, I started 21 eggs in an incubator that was borrowed from a friend, as they are quite pricy here in Ireland and there aren't many good/cheap options that can handle more than a dozen eggs. However, today I've found out that the one time that they used the incubator, they only had about a 20% success rate with the majority of chicks fully forming and then just failing to hatch. The eggs used in that hatch were from their own flock, so there would have been no issues with transported/shipped eggs (my eggs are from a breeder).

I'm regretting my decision at this point and wondering if it would ruin the eggs if I splashed out on a new incubator and moved them over? They're currently in a River EggTech with an automatic turning tray (the type that lean the eggs from side to side), and I'd be wanting to buy one of the Brisnea incubators that would have the eggs laying on their side with the automatic rotating gears. Would this work, or would the change in incubator/type of turning motion harm the eggs? Or do I need to suck it up and just accept that this batch as a likely loss and a lesson learned to get my own incubator next time?

I move eggs from one incubator to another often. I do not let them cool off first, though it would not hurt to do so as the broody hen often will leave the eggs for short periods.
I have also taken eggs that have been incubated and put them under a broody and taken eggs that have been under a broody and put them in an incubator.
If you have access to a better incubator than the one you currently have the eggs in, you should not have any problems. As others have pointed out though, making sure that temperature and humidity are steady is the most important thing.
Good luck with your hatch.😊

I have a Brinsea Maxi and it is an excellent incubator.

Thank you all very much for the insight! I've gone ahead and sprung for the Brisnea incubator that I wanted and will get them swapped over once the new incubator is up and running.

I just felt a bit stupid when I found out that they'd had such a terrible hatching rate before--I wish they'd told me beforehand! I'll get all the eggs candled and moved over early next week (I suspect the incubator will arrive on Monday).

Thank you all again, it's much appreciated.

Thank you all very much for the insight! I've gone ahead and sprung for the Brisnea incubator that I wanted and will get them swapped over once the new incubator is up and running.

I just felt a bit stupid when I found out that they'd had such a terrible hatching rate before--I wish they'd told me beforehand! I'll get all the eggs candled and moved over early next week (I suspect the incubator will arrive on Monday).

Thank you all again, it's much appreciated.
Make sure your new incubator is running for at least 36 hours before putting the eggs into it. you will need to monitor the temp in the new one and adjust accordingly.

shifting eggs between incubators is fine :)

Neither you nor I know why they had such a bad hatch rate. I'm not familiar with that incubator but it looks like a pretty high tech model. Some incubator manufacturers suggest you not use expensive eggs for your first incubation, use cheap eggs the first time so you can learn how to operate it. There is sometimes a learning curve. I suspect operator error more than a bad incubator.

There are different reasons the chicks might fully develop and then fail to hatch. Incorrect incubation temperature or humidity can cause it. The embryos and hatching chicks need fresh air late in incubation, were the vents open so they could get fresh air? Were the eggs incubated pointy side up instead of down? There could be other causes.

I never trust the factory settings on a new incubator, no matter how expensive it is. You need to calibrate your thermometer to make sure it is reading accurately. Then make adjustments as necessary. Calibrating the hygrometer is also a good idea, but at least have a hygrometer so you know what the humidity is reading.

Make sure the new one is operating correctly before you switch the eggs over.

I agree with the others. I switch between broody hens and my incubator without a concern. Switching between the old and new won't be a problem as long as it is working correctly. I would not worry about cooling down and warming back up. Just do it.

Back
Top Bottom