Switching off Layers Feed: What to Feed Instead?

MikyPiky

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
So, I want to switch my chickens off layers feed for multiple reasons, mainly I've heard a lot of people say it really isn't enough protein for backyard hens. For the time being I am feeding all my hens and pullets a growers feed, but I know that is not enough protein for laying hens and I am going to switch to a different feed very soon. The problem is our feed stores only sell starters, growers, and layers feed. Most people switch to a flock raiser, but there is none to be got around here. The starters feed is 21% protein. Would that work for my flock? I would supplement oyster shells on the side for calcium, too

Since I started feeding the growers instead of layers my hens egg production has gone way up, and their eggs are better quality. I wish I had known to stop feeding layers before! :th

PoultryCQ

Songster
Jul 13, 2021
CA
So, I want to switch my chickens off layers feed for multiple reasons, mainly I've heard a lot of people say it really isn't enough protein for backyard hens. For the time being I am feeding all my hens and pullets a growers feed, but I know that is not enough protein for laying hens and I am going to switch to a different feed very soon. The problem is our feed stores only sell starters, growers, and layers feed. Most people switch to a flock raiser, but there is none to be got around here. The starters feed is 21% protein. Would that work for my flock? I would supplement oyster shells on the side for calcium, too

Since I started feeding the growers instead of layers my hens egg production has gone way up, and their eggs are better quality. I wish I had known to stop feeding layers before! :th
Thats enough protein. 20% is good enough for laying hens. I also don't have All flock in my local feed store. I always get a purina non medicated chick starter for adults and medicated for chicks. Providing oyster shells and egg shells on the side always.

MikyPiky

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
Thats enough protein. 20% is good enough for laying hens. I also don't have All flock in my local feed store. I always get a purina non medicated chick starter for adults and medicated for chicks. Providing oyster shells and egg shells on the side always.
Thanks so much! Would 21% protein be too much for 16 week old chicks?

GC-Raptor

Free Ranging
5 Years
Jul 26, 2016
Connecticut, USA
Since I started feeding the growers instead of layers my hens egg production has gone way up, and their eggs are better quality. I wish I had known to stop feeding layers before!
Well it sounds like the Grower feed is working.
What is the Protein %.

I feed all ages of my chickens a Starter-Grower feed 18% Protein with a separate container of Oyster Shells.
20201126_051320_resized_1-2.jpg

GC

MikyPiky

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
Well it sounds like the Grower feed is working.
What is the Protein %.

I feed all ages of my chickens a Starter-Grower feed 18% Protein with a separate container of Oyster Shells. View attachment 2760093
GC
The growers is 16% protein. Funny thing is, I already mixed in the leftover starters so it's a bit higher in protein.

You could also try to mix a higher protein feed with a lower protein feed, to hit the mark in the middle - for instance, a 21% plus a 16% would average out to 18.5%. Just watch your calcium levels, and keep oyster shell or similar on the side.
Alright, that sounds like a good plan. Probably will mix the two together then. Thanks!

Danielpn

Songster
Jul 31, 2020
Olympia area
I too noticed a significant improvement in egg quality when I switched from layer feed to Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein). Tractor Supply Co. tries really hard to provide excellent customer service for online orders (unsolicited endorsement here). They do need to hire a professional for logistics, however. Two bags at a time should qualify for free delivery. Three bags though would be over 100 lbs, and there would be a delivery charge.

Robeenop

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2014
You could also try to mix a higher protein feed with a lower protein feed, to hit the mark in the middle - for instance, a 21% plus a 16% would average out to 18.5%. Just watch your calcium levels, and keep oyster shell or similar on the side.
A game bird feed is good to mix. I use the layer, and a good quality scratch. Also supplement with calf manna. They love it, and it's really good for them.
No problem with eggs.

Top Bottom