switching to a white light

If your chicks are already mostly feathered out, meaning no chick fuzz left anywhere on their bodies, they may need no extra heat beyond whatever the room temperature is. However, if your chicks are not in the house, with indoor heating, any extra heat would depend on how cold it is where they're being kept.

Since they aren't yet old enough to withstand severe temperatures below freezing, you would do well to heat their quarters enough to bring it up to around 60-70 F. A 100 watt incandescent bulb would be adequate.

my brooder thermometer has the weekly increments right on it. first week, 95*, second week 90*, third 85* fourth 75* with no reference after that.........

for what it's worth

Personally, I hate white light for brooding. I tried it with my first batch of chicks. They never seemed to know when to be quiet and settle down. They started getting cranky and pecky at each other too (no day/night cycle). I switched to the red bulb and finally got peace in the evenings when the other lights were off and it was dark out. I don't know if those red party lights have enough heat, I think they're only 40 or 60 watt but a couple of those might be better than white light. Just my opinion and experience. See how it goes for you.
smile.png

Mine are just a little over 3 weeks old and almost fully feathered so I'm getting ready to remove their light. I think the freezing temps are over in my area.

It's always a good idea, in my opinion, to establish day/night rhythms for baby chicks by draping a dark cloth over the brooder between the light and the chicks at night. This relieves the stress of too much light, even a red light, and encourages them to sleep all night, even during the first week.

I'm surprised this isn't talked about very much on BYC.

It's always a good idea, in my opinion, to establish day/night rhythms for baby chicks by draping a dark cloth over the brooder between the light and the chicks at night. This relieves the stress of too much light, even a red light, and encourages them to sleep all night, even during the first week.

I'm surprised this isn't talked about very much on BYC.

Too true, I do that as well! I usually cover the top and sides to just before where the light shines directly. It has always worked well. Same concept as covering parakeets or whatever at night to quiet them.
smile.png

So a quick update, I went and got a white 150 watt light. I put it in the lamp and no joke within a minute they were going crazy pecking at each other running around like crazy. So I immediately turned it off and put the red light back in and poof they were back to normal lol. So I did what was suggested and draped a blanket over the top. They didn't seem to like that either but I think they can get used to that. Taught me not to mess with something that is working just fine lol.

Mine are just a little over 3 weeks old and almost fully feathered so I'm getting ready to remove their light. I think the freezing temps are over in my area.

How warm is it during the day and night where you are keeping them for the next 3 weeks?

Worst I expect is high 30's/low 40's at night and 70's during the best days.

Back
Top Bottom