Swollen abdomen in Runner Duck - Help

Oh my gosh. So last night was the most stressful. This vet works nights... and Keisha didn't pass the egg, so she went into surgery.

Around 11pm, the vet calls us to say she had already removed over 60 eggs. 60! All those small particles in the xray were undeveloped eggs. She said it wasn't looking good and that Keisha might not make it. She wanted to let us know ASAP.

We were devastated. I'm in Atlanta for work. My husband is home in Tampa. And Keisha is 3hrs away passing during surgery.

Except she didn't.

That duck SURVIVED. She woke up like nothing happened and is eating, Pooping, drinking... she's moving a bit slow, but she is looking good.

She's getting final bloodwork today and if her stitches look good tonight, she will come home tomorrow. 😭

What a ride. I cannot wait to see Keisha when she's feeling her best again.

She won't ever have to lay another egg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803_071402_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_071402_WhatsApp.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 17
We will know in about two hours when they open (she works late nights). Last night, the vet said Keisha was looking better but she wanted to make sure her intestines were working right. The eggs leaked and essentially "cooked" and were stuck like superglue to her organs. Because Keisha didn't eat much the day of surgery, the vet was waiting a full 24hrs to make sure Keisha could defecate properly.

We're planning to drive 3hrs each way to get her HOPEFULLY after that call.

This vet... I can't reiterate how awesome she is. She called us during surgery to describe what she was seeing, how many eggs she pulled out piece by piece, sent photos and videos, and a photo of all the egg matter she removed. Plus videos of Keisha awake post-surgery.

I'll share her info once we get Keisha back, for anyone else who may be interested or in need of a fantastic exotic animal/avian/poultry vet.

Keisha is on her way home now! We waited an extra day to give her an implant to prevent egg production, do final bloodwork, and one mote day of pure oxygen. As soon as she saw my husband, he said she went crazy quacking at him.

I'll see her in about an hour!

Attachments

• IMG-20230805-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230805-WA0002.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 13
The vet didn't remove her reproductive system - it was too risky. She apparently had to breathe for Keisha twice on the operating table. Instead the vet gave her an implant to stop production of her ovaries (I'll look at the paperwork when she's home to do some more research) and paired that with injections to shut down her system (lasts 6months and cost freaking $700!).

Shes on anti-inflammatory meds, antibiotics, and some other things... there was so much... to ensure the remaining tissue wouldn't be compromised.

Keisha will need lifelong treatment, but we're okay with that. We will figure out how to cover the costs.

I wish she could have spayed her, but that wasn't an option for some reason that I can't remember right now.

She'll be home in 20 minutes. :)

She's home! Very vocal, wants to see the boys again (she got to say hello for a minute), but is now inside resting. No nesting material. No boys. No loud noises. She's quacking like crazy and eating peas. :)

Attachments

• 20230805_172420.jpg
    20230805_172420.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230805_172342.jpg
    20230805_172342.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom