Swollen abdomen in Runner Duck - Help

Pics

BoradorBeans

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Tampa, FL, USA
Hello; looking for some answers... My 1.5 year old female runner duck has been doing poorly for a few months now... she hasn't laid eggs for the last 5 months (she's been laying regularly since 6 months old). Initially we thought she was molting but realized it's been taking so long and her father's have already grown back. Her abdomen is hard (not squishy), almost like there's and egg inside, but I don't think there is. Could this be egg yolk peritonitis?

Her Symptoms:
  • Swollen, hard abdomen (not squishy)
  • Eating sparingly but her appetite is reduced. She doesn't like the snacks she used to love (peas, worms, and basil). She drinks water normally
  • Pooping, but it's very watery
  • She started limping
  • She waddles to the point where it looks like it hurts
  • She will still swim, but it consists of floating (in warm water). She seems to enjoy the rest. I have to pick her up to put her in the pool and then take her out.
  • She looks like she's so uncomfortable. She barely walks and would rather lay down much of the day.
  • Stopped laying eggs
  • She's lethargic
Has anyone experienced anything like this with their ducks? If so, how did you treat it?

We drove 1 hr away to the only vet near us that would treat her, and we are giving her anti-inflammatory medication and laxatives (which have been solidifying her poop). She seems temporarily relieved. Next step would be to take her for x-rays to see what's really in her abdomen. We're aware that we will be investing a lot into her health. We don't care about egg production.

We changed her diet to include brewer's yeast, flock flax, probiotics, and occasionally nuti-drench. She gets fresh greens, veggies, and fruit in her water and all drinks but is disinterested in the snacks.

We brought her inside for a quiet space with a soft tiny dog bed to rest on until our next appointment.

Any advice or help would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20230712_170939.jpg
    20230712_170939.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 20230525_144039.jpg
    20230525_144039.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230629_001207.jpg
    20230629_001207.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 24
We're going to try antibiotics and get her some x-rays. We heard in some cases - especially with young ducks (she's 1.5 years) they have a chance of pulling through if the infection hasn't gotten into their blood stream. We can't bear to watch her get worse. Hoping it helps (and we know we'll be paying some $$$, but she's one of our kids).

Please let us know how she does on the antibiotic and what the Xrays reveal.

:welcome
Just spoke with the vet (my duck, Keisha) is still there. The x-rays show she has a massive egg stuck in her abdomen. Is this a thing?? I thought if a stuck was egg bound, they couldn't poop and were at risk of dying writing 48hrs. Keisha has been like this for months. Molting in March... so we thought he rough appearance and agitation was from that... but he real discomfort started 2 months ago. Could she really have had an egg stuck for that long?

She hasn't been laying since March. She has been doing well on anti-imflammatory medication and other than the limping and swollen appearance, she seems like her old self. She's getting a calcium injection, oral calcium supplements, and a refill of anti-inflammatory meds. The vet says if this works, the egg could pass in 48hrs.

If not, we are being referred to UF in Gainesville for a more thorough exam and possible surgery, which is risky.

This duck...

I'm going to pick her up this afternoon and will know more.

When one of our members had her Runner egg bound the injection of Calcium Gluconate did work to get the egg moving but I don't remember how long she was egg bound. Most of us keep Cal glu on hand since many of us don't have a vet that will see poultry.
I can't imagine she has had an egg stuck since March, My Muscovy only lasted a few days.
If you don't have any Calcium Gluconante I sure would get some to have on hand
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303

When one of our members had her Runner egg bound the injection of Calcium Gluconate did work to get the egg moving but I don't remember how long she was egg bound. Most of us keep Cal glu on hand since many of us don't have a vet that will see poultry.
I can't imagine she has had an egg stuck since March, My Muscovy only lasted a few days.
If you don't have any Calcium Gluconante I sure would get some to have on hand
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303
Thank you. I'm going to add it to our stock of supplies.

Look at this massive egg. We will get it out (the vet), but are those other dots the ovaries? If so... is that larger white dot a yolk forming? Hoping it's not moving in the wrong direction. I didn't know another egg could develop if egg bound. I'm so confused now.

And I've seen way too many duck diagrams.

Ironically, she is back to her normal happy self since the anti inflammatory meds. Active, quaking, eating, pooping... she was even waddling around the vets office hanging out with the staff.

I just want her healthy again and to get this egg out and over with. I'd be happy if she decided to magically stop laying after this.

I'll list her meds shortly.

Attachments

• 20230724_151728.jpg
    20230724_151728.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 25
That’s def a big one. Hopefully she can lay that on her own. How often did the vet say to give the calcium? @Aunt Angus had one egg bound and it was many days of giving the cal glu before she laid. I’m not sure if the other you’re seeing is an egg the vet could tell you.

That’s def a big one. Hopefully she can lay that on her own. How often did the vet say to give the calcium? @Aunt Angus had one egg bound and it was many days of giving the cal glu before she laid. I’m not sure if the other you’re seeing is an egg the vet could tell you.
She'll get the oral calcium every 12 hours for 5 days, although he said she should pass it in 48 hours, otherwise we'd need to seek an alternative (either surgery, which is risky) or by removing the yolk and then the egg shell. The egg is still in her oviduct, though.

He didn't know what that other dot was. I don't think he has that much experience with ducks afterall (I pointed out the ovaries to him...). He's going to refer us to UF is she doesn't pass this on her own. I'm hoping she does... but I don't know. It's huge.

Back
Top Bottom