Swollen abdomen, lethargic, not popping/eating/drinking.

JessiaCox

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
Washington
I have a hen about 16 months old that I treated for vent gleet a couple weeks ago. She seemed to improve well from that and returned back to a fluffy but hen. Yesterday I noticed her laying in the nesting box for awhile. I lifted her tail and it looked as though she was trying to push an egg out so I let her be. This am no egg that I'm aware of and she seemed very lethargic and was staying alone. I brought her in and did a warm Epsom soak for about 10 mins then put her antifungal cream back on and let her go back outside. I checked on her an hour later and she was all fluffed up standing weird so then I felt like maybe she was egg bound. Brought her back inside filled the tub up again, I tried to feel for an egg but didn't feel anything. I went about middle finger deep. I soaked her in the tub still to see if she would feel better this time for 20 minutes..I put her in out back room in a covered kennel where it's quiet and warm and gave her her own food. She is not eating not drinking and has been in the house for about 4 hours and has not pooped. I tried calling vets around me but there is only one chicken vet and she won't be around until Monday. Any idea what's going on or any tricks to hopefully help her out? The white on her feathers is from the antifungal that was on her.

Attachments

• 20210709_192323.jpg
    20210709_192323.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210709_192435.jpg
    20210709_192435.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210709_192351.jpg
    20210709_192351.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 9
This may be a stuck egg. That's what I would focus on right now. No more baths, though. That increases stress and it works against passing a stubborn egg.

Be aware that often two eggs are involved when a hen is experiencing a stuck egg. Calcium isn't often adequate for two eggs in the same cycle and you end up with thin shells or shell-less eggs.

Give her one calcium citrate tablet immediately.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
This will help with contractions. Also, check her vent for watery fluid dripping out. That's additional indication of a stuck egg. Be sure she has plenty of water to drink. Then leave her to rest quietly. This could resolve in a few hours or might take a few days. Give the calcium once each day until this is over.

This may be a stuck egg. That's what I would focus on right now. No more baths, though. That increases stress and it works against passing a stubborn egg.

Be aware that often two eggs are involved when a hen is experiencing a stuck egg. Calcium isn't often adequate for two eggs in the same cycle and you end up with thin shells or shell-less eggs.

Give her one calcium citrate tablet immediately. View attachment 2754130This will help with contractions. Also, check her vent for watery fluid dripping out. That's additional indication of a stuck egg. Be sure she has plenty of water to drink. Then leave her to rest quietly. This could resolve in a few hours or might take a few days. Give the calcium once each day until this is over.
Thank you, I gave her tums yesterday but is calcium carbonate so I will try the calcium Citrate today. When I checked on her this morning she wasn't fluffed up and sitting funny but still seemed weak. Think it would be a good idea to "force" her to drink water with a syringe and placing the water in her beak as long as I'm careful to not cause aspiration. I don't think she is eating or drinking anything

Back
Top Bottom