swollen and closed eye on hen

Have the same problem. Any sneezing or running nostrils ?

You can go to the feed store and get the terrymycin ointment for eyes that one uses on cats and dogs. Rub this in the chickey eye carefully. I would also start an antibiotic and follow the directions to the letter. I have started my flock on "sulmet". I really do not like to use antibiotics, but in this case I just could not let my birds go on suffering. I have lost one hen to this problem. I believe, but not absolutely sure that I am dealing with CRD.

Have you tried to open the eye lid? If so what did you see. My hen had a swollen shut eye and it looked like she had a marble where her eye was, it was that swollen. When I pulled her eye lid apart I could see some white stuff in her eye. I gently pushed the stuff out and applied the terramycin ointment to her eye. I found out it was caused from her being pecked in the eye. Good luck

Eye Worm ?
Vet RX Pamplet says "The tiny worms work ther way under 3rd eyelid and causes a pus pocket to form. To treat hold bird under your arm so you have both hands free. Open birds mouth while turning it's head to the side and down so you can see the cleft in the roof of the mouth. Dip a cotton swab into warmed VetRX and swab right into cleft. Do this slowly and watch for Vet RX to come from each side of the birds beak and pus coming from corner of each eye. Remove pus and rest bird for awhile. You may need to treat 2 or three times before you see results."

Man! There are soo many reasons an eye can get like that. If you can afford it at all, I'd take your bird to the vet straight away. I have a little bantam roo whose eye was like what you describe and I tried treating it with terramycin ointment and flushing it twice daily. It didn't get better so I took him to the vet and she prescribed 3 eye medications and baytril, a powerful antibiotic. He's all better now but he lost his sight in the bad eye. Wish I'd taken him sooner!
sad.png

A pic would be helpful.
smile.png
There's quite a few causes of what you described.

I have a hen with a chronic condition for doing this. She is my pet, cross beaked, one eye (born with both cross and one eye) and no toes (lost to frost bite last year even with a heat lamp outside!) She is a house chicken now.
gig.gif

Where her left eye should be there is just a tiny slit. I have no trouble with her if I put into the slit a product from Peter Brown for eyes. It has a swelling reducer in it. When she does swell up I make sure a get all discharge out of her eyes and check the roof of her mouth. She sometimes gets a "plug" of whitish curd in the "v" split. This I remove by pushing on both nostrals until the plug pops out. Her sinuses can then drain by themselves.

I don't have the problem very often with her. Mostly when she is let around other birds. Even if they are healthy and show no signs of illness.

I keep her beak trimmed and she does eat by herself.
wink.png
I also use Baytril mixed with Lixotinic as prescribed by my vet.

Last edited:
Quote:
CRD is caused my a certian organism and stands for
Chronic Repiratory Disease.

I have never run across eye worms and do not know a lot about them. The VetRx is difenitely worth your while. I take some and put a good deal on my fingers and gently wipe them across the eye, jut like the ointment and you can use both. I put the Vet Rx on the comb and the waddles. Some tell me they put it in the nostrils. I have heard such HORROR stories because people get liquids aspirated in the chickens lungs and they die VERY quickly.

I am a big, big follower of Vet Rx and recommend it strongly. I have seen many a bird perk up and eat and drink just becuase the stuff make them feel so much better. It really seems to sooth what ails them.

Sulmet is an antibiotic and one should treat thier birds accordingly.

Use it per the letter of the instructions and DO NOT stop it early.

Back
Top Bottom