Swollen and hot duck foot?

Ok thank you very much! I've cleaned her foot up and gave her a pad of cotton wool on the bottom of it to relieve stress, (these lot literally go wherever they please so I expect she went somewhere she shouldn't have). She seems a lot brighter now and I've put her in a kennel full of clean straw with food and water. I actually hatched these lot during lockdown so I'm not super informed on ducks, what is the best for vitamin B supplements? In the water or in her feed?

If you are in the UK (?) the easiest vitamin B supplement to get would be some nutritional yeast, and sprinkle about one or two tablespoons over her feed.

If you are in the UK (?) the easiest vitamin B supplement to get would be some nutritional yeast, and sprinkle about one or two tablespoons over her feed.
yes I'm in the uk, is it Ok if she doesn't have any tonight and I'll get some for her tomorrow?

yes I'm in the uk, is it Ok if she doesn't have any tonight and I'll get some for her tomorrow?
I don't see anything particularly alarming in the pictures to suggest Bumblefoot, so if the limp developed very fast, I would go to say she injured her foot, or ankle area. She may have tripped over something, or got her foot got in some line, etc.

Setting her in her own little pen area to reduce her movement, and allow her to get feed, and water easily would be a good idea. As well as, upping the B vitamins in her diet during the healing process, letting her swim in deep cool water often, occasionally with the addition of Epsom salts.

You can do all those things, but ultimately rest will be the major factor. In the future, try to make there pen area free of snags, and things they might trip on where they walk frequently.

I figured you were from the UK by some of your phrasings. It's not imperative you get the NY today. Really, it's not going to do much for this injury, but by supplying the bird with B vitamins, which is good for leg health, it may help prevent future leg problems.

It's been a couple days and it has gotten bigger, we're suspecting it's bumblefoot but it's on her ankle area so we're not sure if bumblefoot can go up that high. I've been keeping her in her own pen and shes still eating and drinking a lot, I let her go swimming in fresh water to keep her feathers neat but the foot hasn't improved. Should I start treating it as bumblefoot by cleaning it in epsom salts or should I get antibiotics?​

Back
Top Bottom