Swollen Bubbly Eye

triciayoung

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Oct 15, 2022
Mountville, SC
My Coop
My Coop
My Golden Comet, age 29-weeks pullet has a swollen right eye, including the area around the eye. She has no ear discharge, normal poop, is eating and drinking, is not lethargic, has stopped laying (the past 2-days), and has no respiratory symptoms. She is walking a little funny, and sometimes backwards (only twice). My 18-year old grandson and I observed her for over an hour this morning. we really believe the walking backwards and crouching thing is because she is trying to adjust her eyesight because of the limitations from the right eye. Also, she is in a room of the house she is not used to being in. I have been putting Terramycin in her eye twice per day. I gave her 12.5mgs benadryl yesterday thinking the two bumps on the posterior part of her eyelid were bites - no change. Using the symptom checker tool on poultrydvm has not been useful. I sent pictures to my vet yesterday afternoon but have not heard back and of course it is Friday. Has anyone seen this?

Attachments

• hope left eye.jpg
    hope left eye.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 47
  • hope right eye.jpg
    hope right eye.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It could be an early sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) which is a chronic respiratory disease. It can show up without other signs. I would clean her eye with saline or eat wash, and apply some Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store. Plain Neosporin can work if that is not available.

Haepve you added any new chickens in the last couple of weeks? Sometimes MG can be dormant in the body, and then pop up during a time of stress. Tylosin or Tylan, and Denagard can be a treatment if symptoms worsen. Tylosin can be found here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

It could be an early sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) which is a chronic respiratory disease. It can show up without other signs. I would clean her eye with saline or eat wash, and apply some Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store. Plain Neosporin can work if that is not available.

Haepve you added any new chickens in the last couple of weeks? Sometimes MG can be dormant in the body, and then pop up during a time of stress. Tylosin or Tylan, and Denagard can be a treatment if symptoms worsen. Tylosin can be found here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
I have not added birds in the past few weeks. Thank you for the link for Tylosin. I should have added that I did clean her eye and have been putting Terramycin in her eye twice per day.

Back
Top Bottom