Swollen chicken eye

God that looks nasty. Poor girl. I'm sorry you don't have a vet who treats birds. I really hope she improves. :hugs

I am NOT an expert at all, so don't do anything crazy without expert input, but I kinda feel like you need to make cuts in the corners of her eye to make the opening bigger, then take that big nasty ball out. I don't know if it's tumor or pus or her eye, but I can't imagine that going down on its own. Alternatively, you could try cutting directly into the ball and avoid cutting her face, and just try to scooping out as much as you can/do some curettage until you get down to normal looking tissue, irrigate with betadine and then load the hole up with Terramycin eye ointment. That's what I'd be tempted to do if it were my bird, but again, definitely ask an expert first. I don't know. That's just my gut talking. :confused:

Last edited:
Sadly I've gotten two vet techs that also believe it's a tumor so I will be culling this weekend and sending her off for testing. She is still in good spirits for now and I'd rather let her depart that way instead of in pain
Seems the best way to procede. Sometimes there is nothing we can do but prevent suffering and investigate the cause.

Back
Top Bottom