swollen eye, HELP !!

hjkr1130

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
Hi everyone,

I have a 6 month old, americana pullet, who yesterday had a swollen eye. I noticed she was laying around, not very active yesterday, so I brought her inside away from the rest of the flock (just in case) her eye is red and swollen, I have rinsed it with warm water a couple of times. I went to the feed store and they told me she needed to be on Duramycin-10. I'm not so sure about this, what if she got pecked , or has a little scratch from her tuffs coming in. and just needs a little time? She does not have a runny nose, she seems to be eating fine, and her poop well looks good to me, although she is still not as active and at times has that one eye closed, no sign of any blood or anything.... I have let her outside with the flock for a little while, because she just doesn't seem sick (plus who wants to stay in a dog cage in the bathroom all day )Anyone have a clue if she maybe sick or just a small injury ??? I have put the meds in the water anyway, and she will sleep inside to make sure she gets the antibotic water !! do you think she is sick, am I giving her the right stuff??? Please advise !! Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a little neosporin and wipe on the eye. It's probably just a scratch from something. One of my hens did that and she was kinda laying around, and would turn her head funny to see what I brought. She was so funny! But she got fine.

I second the Terrymycin ointment. Comes in a little yellow tube and it is for eyes. It worked for me. It is about 7 dollars a tube but worth it and a good addition to your first aid kit.

edited to say, I got my tube at the tractor supply store.

Last edited:
OK, I've been outvoted. Gotta love a democracy!
big_smile.png

Not really fuzziebutt. Some of the listings of other names for the same antibiotics are.

Eye Ointment

Brand Name(s):
Polytrim, Neosporin, Neocidin, Ocu-Spor-G, Ocu-Spor-B, Terramycin w/Polymyxin B Sulfate, Terak, Polysporin, AK-Poly-Bac, Polycin-B

Neosporin is the same, only a little thicker than eye ointments. My veterinarian had me use Neosporin for my dog when her eye was scratched because he was out of stock of Terramycin and explained it was basically the same.

Back
Top Bottom