SWOLLEN EYE? my hen needs some help (PICS)

I dont' know what causes it but I did read that you should squeeze it out of it is badly infected. Wish i knew what causes it and why it is usually in the left eye.

PoultryMan Supply (Google for address) has a fantastic thing called 1 Drop 1 Eye 1 Time. And it WORKS. I had 6 chicks with runny swollen eyes. 1 drop had it fixed in 2 days.

You should be able to buy the terramycin ointment from any vet. It's a common medicine for dog's and cat's. Most vet's will sell it to you just as a walk in over the counter. Good luck. I am starting treatment tonight for the same problem it sound's like ya'll got going on. I'm trying to get some good info before I start. PEACE

i finally found a tube of it here locally...a farm store 20 miles from here had it and since it was connected with another store here i told them to order it. and they did. i didnt get specfic directions on how to apply it but i apply it 2 times a day on the "bumps" of the eye. there is some bubbles coming out of one eye. i can get underneath the eye bumps also so should i apply the stuff under the bumps too?

i tried squeezing and didnt get any gunk out.

you first need to flush the eye out with sterile saline (just like you would do with a human eye)... if you do not have the commercial sterile saline you can make your own by boiling 1/4 tsp salt in a quart of water for five minutes and cool.(you will need to make fresh daily and flush daily)... then apply the eye ointment directly in the eye (just as you would for a human or dog or cat)...you will need to apply enuf so that it totally covers the eye ensuring you do not touch the tip to the eye > just squeeze a glob out and then with two fingers manipulate the eyelids to spread it around (shwich by the way will expel any abscessed material out usually as described in a former post here > abscess in a bird does not reabsorb and must be manually expelled)

Quote:
Thank's for your post!!! I had found one of my six week old chick's yesterday with it's left eye swollen shut. I have been in the hospital and my old man was put in charge of my bird's. {boy is he in trouble} The eye looked like the size of a small marble. I did a search and read your post and with some info from all the good folk's at BYC I went to town and got VetRx and some saline solution. I read some more post than I collected anything I thought I might need, washed up good and went in my brooder room to treat the bird. I'm squeemish but it was me or no one. I had a good light going on and held a strong flashlight with my shoulder. When I opened the eye it was some white stuff but it wouldn't come out. I did the VetRx on the nostril's but wasn't able to get the q-tip in the mouth and push. I kept flushing with the saline and finally the stuff started to move. This poor baby kept biting me and I had to keep re-wraping it in the towel. When it came out it was a white solid piece of something, about half the size of dime and on one end very thick. Whatever it was it felt almost rubbery. I flushd the eye again and treated with terramicym ointment and terramicym water. This morning I can't even tell by looking which eye it was. WOW!!!!! Thank's again for your post because never in a million year's would I have pushed on the eye. I would have just kept treating with med's and this probably wouldn't of had a good ending. I took pic of the thing that came out of it's eye, I'll try to figure out how to post. Maybe someone will know what it was. PEACE

Congratulations, now you're an experienced chicken doctor!
yippiechickie.gif

I'm glad you had a good result with this chick. Hopefully someone can tell us what this condition is called, what causes it & especially how to prevent it from occuring in the first place.

My hen's afflicted eye is still closed, though not swollen any more. Yesterday there still seemed to be some white matter in there, I couldn't see her dark eye under the lids. I rinsed it out and gave her some more Vet Rx. Today I was away from home most of the day, late this afternoon I just let her out in the yard when her flock was released for recess, and let her go back to roost with them. I'm hoping it will perk her up to be back with her flock. Tomorrow I hope to have time to give her some more attention.

I think I should just keep rinsing her eye with saline and treating her with Vet Rx and hope the infection will finally clear up. Do you all think I should try to obtain some antibiotic eye ointment to apply at this time? Also, I have the antibiotic powder that mixes with their drinking water. Could I mix a little with water and make this one hen drink it?

Get the ointment for sure. I just happened to have some on hand because I had to treat a cat's eye a couple of month's ago. It can't hurt. When I first tried to clear the eye the white matter looked like maybe I could just wipe it out. I had know idea the matter was one solid piece of whatever it was. I couldn't figure out why the stuff wouldn't move. You would of thought it would have been gooey. I guess the saline flushes loosened it and it moved when I pushed. This totally freaked me out so I stoped and shined my bright led flashlight in there and looked through my magnifiging glass. I thought I was pushing the lid out or something. I then had a good view of it's eye behind this stuff. I sat there for a minute trying to decide if I should push some more. I have experience with dog's and cat's eye's but never anything like what I saw. I flushed again and gave it a gentle push and the piece shot out. The bird's eye was a little red around the lid's but the eye itself looked fine. When I unwrapped the chick from the towel I let it loose on the floor. That's where I was sitting while all this was going on. The chick walked over and rubbed itself on my leg. Poor baby, I guess that was my thank you and just a few moment's earlier it was biting me. My old man couldn't beleive it when he got home from work this morning. You can't tell Anything was wrong. When you said big glob of gunk in the earlier post were you meaning it was one solid peice of gunk? Did it feel almost rubbery? This was no foreign object, like it had ran into something that got in the eye. This has me puzzled. I wish I could of afforded to have the piece analized. Maybe it was pus/infection that hardened. Don't laugh but tonight I got to worrying about my other bird's and took my flashlight and went out to check 150+ bird's eye's. I woke everybody up. Hopefully somone will know what this is and solve the mystery. The chick was eating and drinking fine before but it's poo was only green. Could this this be a clue? Good luck tomorrow and I hope everything work's out for you like it did for me. Let me know how it goes. PEACE, SARA

Quote:
LOL, I'm the exact same way. When something seems to be even the slightest bit wrong I'm in there messing with them while they're roosting, trying to poke and prod and examine till I'm sure they're all okay. I've seen the eye bump thing as well, affecting only one bird out of the 25 meat birds I had. I have no idea what it is, and I'd really like to know! Oh, dlhunicorn, any ideas, wise one??? LOL! I see u posted about saline solution, but what could cause this?

BTY I do feel like a bit of a chicken doctor. I have folk's stop by two or three time's a month asking if I'm a vet. I've doctored on many four legged friend's through the year's and I guess the word spread. I need to see what I can do for my two legged friend's now. Maybe I should charge a small fee for all the stranger's pet's I've helped. Naaa, I do it for the animal's. PEACE

Back
Top Bottom