Swollen eye- no other symptoms

HB18

Hatching
Jun 26, 2021
Hi everyone! One of my hens has a swollen eye. The other side is completely normal. No discharge or odor. No breathing issues I notice.

One of my roosters had this several weeks ago but not as bad and eventually it got better but left his eye looking slightly swollen at all times.

Their coop stays clean. They free range on 2 acres. They get fresh water 2x a day.

I don’t ever notice them pecking each other but I don’t observe them 24/7 of course. anyone know what this is and what I should do? I have more chicks coming next month but now I’m not sure if I should add any more to the flock?

Attachments

• 13580D53-D376-4B6E-840D-F5DE9DE13701.jpeg
    13580D53-D376-4B6E-840D-F5DE9DE13701.jpeg
    797.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 4C4EEC1D-D642-478F-8E07-D746FDFDF25D.jpeg
    4C4EEC1D-D642-478F-8E07-D746FDFDF25D.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 15
Any lesions or canker inside the beak?

Photo of what the rooster's eye look like now?

If the rooster had it, it sounds like it has spread. Likely respiratory disease. Could be viral or bacterial.

General care - flush the eye with saline and apply eye ointment like Terramycin.

Depending on what you are dealing with an antibiotic like Tylosin may help treat symptoms, but eye care needs to be given twice a day at least.

Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Any lesions or canker inside the beak?

Photo of what the rooster's eye look like now?

If the rooster had it, it sounds like it has spread. Likely respiratory disease. Could be viral or bacterial.

General care - flush the eye with saline and apply eye ointment like Terramycin.

Depending on what you are dealing with an antibiotic like Tylosin may help treat symptoms, but eye care needs to be given twice a day at least.

Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044
helllo one of my rooster also have a bump inside his beak few ago..now his eyes are slowly stared to swell up..please help me so that i can help him

Back
Top Bottom