Swollen eye

I agree that it could be a chronic respiratory disease called mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. It cannbe a mystery sometimes how they get it, but it could come in on wild birds, tracked in on shoes from another farm or chicken flock, or it could have been dormant for awhile. I would clean the eye with saline, and wipe off any yellow crusts on the face. Apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day into the eye. I would probably leave her with her flock so you don’t have any pecking order issues, since they have already been exposed to her. But do what you think is best. Tylosin antibiotic powder, which treats MG, can be purchased here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water, or 1/4 tsp per quart/liter changed every 2 days, and given for 3-5 days.
Ok thanks. Because I live in Canada and jedds.com seems to be American, do you think this will even ship fast enough?

Oh, yes, you would probably have to ask a vet for Tylosin, or for Denagard (tiamulin,) or oxytetracycline, which also treat MG. It may clear up without an antibiotic, but with MG, others could get it or she could have a relapse.

Back
Top Bottom