Swollen eye

Chickenma2021

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
Ontario, Canada
My chicken Gloria has a very swollen eye. I'm very sure this is a eye infection. She's acting very normal and her breathing is normal. I'm gonna flush her eye with saline and go from there.
20230721_135823.jpg
20230721_135901.jpg

Last edited:
I put comfrey and calendula cream on my two girls when they were stung. It took about a week for the swelling to go down. Check on her that she's eating and drinking normally and if that eye shows any discharge .it could be an infection
Ok. Is there any household items I can use at the moment? I don't have any of that right now. I will keep a close eye on her for the next week or so.

Also- I actually just checked on her and there are a few bubbles but I wouldn't say her eye is "bubbling" does that mean she is sick and not a sting? If so is there anything I can do before ordering anything?

Ok. Is there any household items I can use at the moment? I don't have any of that right now. I will keep a close eye on her for the next week or so.

Also- I actually just checked on her and there are a few bubbles but I wouldn't say her eye is "bubbling" does that mean she is sick and not a sting? If so is there anything I can do before ordering anything?
I'd just put an antibiotic cream and give a few saline solution washes. If there's bubbles in the inner part then it's a respiratory issues called MG. I'd seperate her for now to keep an eye and to make sure she has time to heal. I'd also give her treats for protein like worms/crickets (in minimal amounts). Make sure she eats,drinks and keep on eye on her.hope this helps :)

I'd just put an antibiotic cream and give a few saline solution washes. If there's bubbles in the inner part then it's a respiratory issues called MG. I'd seperate her for now to keep an eye and to make sure she has time to heal. I'd also give her treats for protein like worms/crickets (in minimal amounts). Make sure she eats,drinks and keep on eye on her.hope this helps :)
Ok Ill separate her. Does she need to go on antibiotics or can she recover on her own? What antibiotic cream can I put on her eye? I thought MG was something that was caused by new additions to the flock. I've had the same animals for 2 years, how could she get it?

Ok Ill separate her. Does she need to go on antibiotics or can she recover on her own? What antibiotic cream can I put on her eye? I thought MG was something that was caused by new additions to the flock. I've had the same animals for 2 years, how could she get it?
it can naturally heal/calm down on its own but a cream like Terramycin or neosporin (its cheaper and more easily found) can help it from getting an infection. If there is discharge or if it gets cut from her scratching her eye then I'd definitely put the cream on her. You can purchase either from amazon or a local walmart or pharmacy.If your chicken has bubbles in either eye your likely dealing with MG. MG can be caught by basically anything, wild birds can pass it and then your chickens will pass it quickly. If there aren't any bubbles then you fine, probably just a sting or someone pecked at her eye. Good luck! :)

it can naturally heal/calm down on its own but a cream like Terramycin or neosporin (its cheaper and more easily found) can help it from getting an infection. If there is discharge or if it gets cut from her scratching her eye then I'd definitely put the cream on her. You can purchase either from amazon or a local walmart or pharmacy.If your chicken has bubbles in either eye your likely dealing with MG. MG can be caught by basically anything, wild birds can pass it and then your chickens will pass it quickly. If there aren't any bubbles then you fine, probably just a sting or someone pecked at her eye. Good luck! :)
Ok, thanks for all the help. This morning the swelling has gone down a bit and spread to her cheek. She looks like a chubby faced chicken lol. I still not 100% on what caused this so I'm just gonna do what I can.

I agree that it could be a chronic respiratory disease called mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. It cannbe a mystery sometimes how they get it, but it could come in on wild birds, tracked in on shoes from another farm or chicken flock, or it could have been dormant for awhile. I would clean the eye with saline, and wipe off any yellow crusts on the face. Apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day into the eye. I would probably leave her with her flock so you don’t have any pecking order issues, since they have already been exposed to her. But do what you think is best. Tylosin antibiotic powder, which treats MG, can be purchased here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water, or 1/4 tsp per quart/liter changed every 2 days, and given for 3-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom