Swollen Eye!!!

In the second picture, the conjunctiva is more prominent in the corner of the eye. Continue to look for bubbles or foam. Sometimes that pinkeye can be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, a chronic respiratory disease. Hopefully, it is not that. But if I was going to medicate with antibiotics, I would use either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin. Tylosin powder or Tylan can be purchased here to treat her water if symptoms persist:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon or 1/4 tsp per quart for 3-5 days.

You might even still be able to find Tylan 50 injectable at a feed store near you, and that can be given orally. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given orally 3 times a day for 3-5 days.

Any time. Pleaae do. Feel free to message me directly or update your thread here, whichever you may prefer.

All the very best. I get the feel Mohawk is going to be just fine, even quicker than we think. :)
Any time. Pleaae do. Feel free to message me directly or update your thread here, whichever you may prefer.

All the very best. I get the feel Mohawk is going to be just fine, even quicker than we think. :)
I wanted to give an update - her eye is no longer shut this morning! However she still is not herself as she isn’t wanting to walk around and really just wants to stand/roost. I have her roosting right now and I applied the vetRx to her head/comb/wattle/eyes/nose and under wings and will reapply it tonight! Hoping she gains some energy here in the next day or so!

I wanted to give an update - her eye is no longer shut this morning! However she still is not herself as she isn’t wanting to walk around and really just wants to stand/roost. I have her roosting right now and I applied the vetRx to her head/comb/wattle/eyes/nose and under wings and will reapply it tonight! Hoping she gains some energy here in the next day or so!
Hello again! Great to hear her eye is open again! I will be back... I am going to look up some things, we need to work out her lethargy.

She's feeling a bit sorry for herself and is probably sore.

Looks like she's had her bell rung from someone. She has common abrasions and signs of a bird that has been in a tussle with another.

For the eye, clean out with saline or vetericyn. Apply a small amount of triple antibiotic ointment to the eye and surrounding tissue to help the abrasions not feel so tight.

See that she's eating/drinking. Offer her a bit of sugar water or electrolytes.

She's a bit crested, so could perhaps be suffering a little more trauma than others that get into a fight. Get some Vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex (1/4 tablet) into her once daily for a week.

If she can eat/drink on her own, is up and moving, get her back with her flock and observe interactions. See if space is too tight, if you need to add more feed/water stations, etc. Sometimes you need more room, sometimes chickens just fight.

1691333021433.png

1691333039822.png

It does seem that an eye inflammation or irritation is enough to make a chicken less active, even less interested in food. In the absence of other signs, a swollen eye alone usually is an uncomplicated infection or irritation. So the usual supportive care and general antibiotic should be sufficient. It is also a good sign that her eye is open today. (Any swelling or discharge at all?) But such symptoms can also mean other things, and if Mohawk develops more symptoms, vet care will be optimal, but it still helps to know what to do.

I put together a list of usual causes of swollen eye/conjunctivitis, symptoms, treatments.

Here it is:

There are 3 sets of reasons for Swollen Eye or conjunctivitis in the chicken.

And this is how you can attempt to tell them apart.

1. An outside cause such as dust, debris, or an eye peck can then lead to an infection.

Usually the signs will be localized at the eye, but if any virus spreads it can lead to symptoms elsewhere. Inflammation of the eye can be all the bird needs to feel like staying still and not moving much. So listlessness or wanting to perch or brood can be triggered as simply as by local irritation. But it can also be a sign of systemic infection--and so we monitor for other signs.

2. Disease in or around the eye socket. Most often associated with sinusitis, there will be typically signs of sinus involvement.

3. Infection by virus, bacteria, parasite. This is the scariest, but appropriate treatment can help very much. So here are typical diseases/infections that can also affect eye secondarily.

These are:

Infectious coryza. Signs:

Swelling around the face

Foul-smelling, thick and sticky discharge from the nostrils and eyes

Labored breathing

Rales (rattles heard via stethoscope).

In addition, the eyelids of an infected bird can become irritated and might stick together. Diarrhea may occur.

Treatment: antibiotic/tetracycline. Erythromycin and oxytetracycline

Infectious Laryngotracheitis. Signs:

Major respiratory distress, blood-mixed mucus released by head shaking, sneezing, and conjunctivitis; catarrh, sinusitis.

Treatment: colloidal silver, isolation; warm cloth to remove crustiness of conjunctivitis.

Oxyspiruriasis. (Parasitic infection) Signs:

Scratching at eye, conjunctivitis, eyelids stuck together.

Treatment:

Ivermectin, Cresol, Lysol, Iodine, veterinary removal of worms.

Swollen head syndrome (SHS). Signs:

swelling around and behind the eye and in the sinus space, particularly around the eye, with mild conjunctivitis.

Treatment: supportive care and antibiotics for any secondary infections.

Avian chlamydiosis. Signs:

Possibly none, but can include reduced appetite, discharge from the eyes or nostrils, conjunctivitis, diarrhea, and the usually white portion of feces will be green to yellow-green. Severe infection may lead to small, dark green droppings.

Treatment: doxycycline and cease calcium supplement.

Aspergillosis (fungal infection). Signs:

Trouble breathing, lack of appetite, conjunctivitis.

Treatment:

itraconazole, topical antifungal ointment.

Avian influenza (Brunswick Disease)
Signs:

Pus, weepy discharge from nostrils, abnormal eggs; or head and neck tremors, tilted head position, inability to stand.

Treatment: Amantadine, Oseltamivir, Baicalin, resveratrol, even green tea.

Ammonia toxicity. Signs:

Crusty eyes, swollen eyelids, rubbing head against wings, cloudy cornea, sensitive to light.

Treatment:

Yucca extract and supportive care.

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Signs:

Respiratory distress, difficulty breathing, coughing, sneezing, swollen eyelid, discharge from eye, conjunctivitis with frothiness/bubbles. Other occasions--abnormal feathers, loss of appetite.

Treatment:

Doxycycline, lincomycin, tiamulin, tylosin. Probiotics helps guard against E. Coli. Licorice to downgrade inflammatory gene expression.

And as Eggcessive mentioned, Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin are still gold standard practice. Tylosin powder or Tylan is good advice.

If we can assume that Mohawk's eye has improved from vetRx, and if we are very sure, then it likely rules out Myco. which should not be altogether sensitive to it.

Still distressing that she seems to be sheltering in herself. So definitely monitor. I still get a hunch it will be uncomplicated. And great that her eye is already open again. So, (having fallen in love with your hen), please feel free to update again on her condition and let us know how she is, if you don't mind :) (And I hope the wedding was great!)

Oh that would be wonderful. Thank you ❤️
You're more than welcome! :) The worlds (my) largest post above should be ok to have around for some sort of reference in the event of something in future. I tried to leave no stone unturned and hopefully it is helpful, and can give you a general overview of things that can cause eye symptoms.

All the very best, and hope to hear that she is back to her old self again in 2 or 3 days! :)

It does seem that an eye inflammation or irritation is enough to make a chicken less active, even less interested in food. In the absence of other signs, a swollen eye alone usually is an uncomplicated infection or irritation. So the usual supportive care and general antibiotic should be sufficient. It is also a good sign that her eye is open today. (Any swelling or discharge at all?) But such symptoms can also mean other things, and if Mohawk develops more symptoms, vet care will be optimal, but it still helps to know what to do.

I put together a list of usual causes of swollen eye/conjunctivitis, symptoms, treatments.

Here it is:

There are 3 sets of reasons for Swollen Eye or conjunctivitis in the chicken.

And this is how you can attempt to tell them apart.

1. An outside cause such as dust, debris, or an eye peck can then lead to an infection.

Usually the signs will be localized at the eye, but if any virus spreads it can lead to symptoms elsewhere. Inflammation of the eye can be all the bird needs to feel like staying still and not moving much. So listlessness or wanting to perch or brood can be triggered as simply as by local irritation. But it can also be a sign of systemic infection--and so we monitor for other signs.

2. Disease in or around the eye socket. Most often associated with sinusitis, there will be typically signs of sinus involvement.

3. Infection by virus, bacteria, parasite. This is the scariest, but appropriate treatment can help very much. So here are typical diseases/infections that can also affect eye secondarily.

These are:

Infectious coryza. Signs:

Swelling around the face

Foul-smelling, thick and sticky discharge from the nostrils and eyes

Labored breathing

Rales (rattles heard via stethoscope).

In addition, the eyelids of an infected bird can become irritated and might stick together. Diarrhea may occur.

Treatment: antibiotic/tetracycline. Erythromycin and oxytetracycline

Infectious Laryngotracheitis. Signs:

Major respiratory distress, blood-mixed mucus released by head shaking, sneezing, and conjunctivitis; catarrh, sinusitis.

Treatment: colloidal silver, isolation; warm cloth to remove crustiness of conjunctivitis.

Oxyspiruriasis. (Parasitic infection) Signs:

Scratching at eye, conjunctivitis, eyelids stuck together.

Treatment:

Ivermectin, Cresol, Lysol, Iodine, veterinary removal of worms.

Swollen head syndrome (SHS). Signs:

swelling around and behind the eye and in the sinus space, particularly around the eye, with mild conjunctivitis.

Treatment: supportive care and antibiotics for any secondary infections.

Avian chlamydiosis. Signs:

Possibly none, but can include reduced appetite, discharge from the eyes or nostrils, conjunctivitis, diarrhea, and the usually white portion of feces will be green to yellow-green. Severe infection may lead to small, dark green droppings.

Treatment: doxycycline and cease calcium supplement.

Aspergillosis (fungal infection). Signs:

Trouble breathing, lack of appetite, conjunctivitis.

Treatment:

itraconazole, topical antifungal ointment.

Avian influenza (Brunswick Disease)
Signs:

Pus, weepy discharge from nostrils, abnormal eggs; or head and neck tremors, tilted head position, inability to stand.

Treatment: Amantadine, Oseltamivir, Baicalin, resveratrol, even green tea.

Ammonia toxicity. Signs:

Crusty eyes, swollen eyelids, rubbing head against wings, cloudy cornea, sensitive to light.

Treatment:

Yucca extract and supportive care.

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Signs:

Respiratory distress, difficulty breathing, coughing, sneezing, swollen eyelid, discharge from eye, conjunctivitis with frothiness/bubbles. Other occasions--abnormal feathers, loss of appetite.

Treatment:

Doxycycline, lincomycin, tiamulin, tylosin. Probiotics helps guard against E. Coli. Licorice to downgrade inflammatory gene expression.

And as Eggcessive mentioned, Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin are still gold standard practice. Tylosin powder or Tylan is good advice.

If we can assume that Mohawk's eye has improved from vetRx, and if we are very sure, then it likely rules out Myco. which should not be altogether sensitive to it.

Still distressing that she seems to be sheltering in herself. So definitely monitor. I still get a hunch it will be uncomplicated. And great that her eye is already open again. So, (having fallen in love with your hen), please feel free to update again on her condition and let us know how she is, if you don't mind :) (And I hope the wedding was great!)
You have been an absolute savior thru this. Today has been awful as 2 of my ducks were taken by a predator. 1 is gone and 1 is in critical condition, still fighting.

Mohawk is actually seeming a lot more active as the day has progressed and seems to be on the mend. I plan to vetrx her again before close up and hopefully she continues to go upward!

I am so thankful for the information and will be saving it for future references or if anything else happens with Mohawks eye. There is absolutely no discharge and it’s almost seems like now it didn’t even happen…it’s crazy.

You have been an absolute savior thru this. Today has been awful as 2 of my ducks were taken by a predator. 1 is gone and 1 is in critical condition, still fighting.

Mohawk is actually seeming a lot more active as the day has progressed and seems to be on the mend. I plan to vetrx her again before close up and hopefully she continues to go upward!

I am so thankful for the information and will be saving it for future references or if anything else happens with Mohawks eye. There is absolutely no discharge and it’s almost seems like now it didn’t even happen…it’s crazy.
Im very sorry now about the predator. That's crazy! I can imagine your shock and you're going from one kind of challenge to another with little pause between. Im very sorry about your missing duck and I want for your injured duck to pull through.

Back to basics and predator-proofing the yard by providing more cover or back-tracking and discovering any weaknesses in the system will be important. You are having challenge upon challenge, with little pause.

But wow, you can take some consolation in how well Mohawk is doing. Something came upon me when I first read your post-- I had a feeling that this would turn around even quicker than we might have exoected. So big ysy on Mohawk's improvement. Im glad to have helped in any way at all. She has you to thank because you have poweful perception, and acted very quickly. Poultry signs of trouble can be so subtle, and you didn't set aside anything. You did absolutely great, intervened just right, and you can always feel good about that. 🧡

Im just sorry about your ducks. Please let me know how he's doing, if you don't mind me staying in the loop. I send you all the best... hmmm I get a feeling your duck has a real fighting chance. I get the feel all your flock is in great condition and robust. It will count for everything, and gives him the best chance. 🌻

Im very sorry now about the predator. That's crazy! I can imagine your shock and you're going from one kind of challenge to another with little pause between. Im very sorry about your missing duck and I want for your injured duck to pull through.

Back to basics and predator-proofing the yard by providing more cover or back-tracking and discovering any weaknesses in the system will be important. You are having challenge upon challenge, with little pause.

But wow, you can take some consolation in how well Mohawk is doing. Something came upon me when I first read your post-- I had a feeling that this would turn around even quicker than we might have exoected. So big ysy on Mohawk's improvement. Im glad to have helped in any way at all. She has you to thank because you have poweful perception, and acted very quickly. Poultry signs of trouble can be so subtle, and you didn't set aside anything. You did absolutely great, intervened just right, and you can always feel good about that. 🧡

Im just sorry about your ducks. Please let me know how he's doing, if you don't mind me staying in the loop. I send you all the best... hmmm I get a feeling your duck has a real fighting chance. I get the feel all your flock is in great condition and robust. It will count for everything, and gives him the best chance. 🌻
Thank you so much.

Mohawk is still doing good, she’s angry because since the predator attack I’m not letting them free range right now, which I normally do. I do very much believe they are happiest free ranging so I always want to provide that but until I am able to discard of this predator, that will not be happening. Mohawk did seem a bit sleepy today but I also had to work so I didn’t get to see her till after 5pm and she could still be recovering - she got some more vet Rx on her and she is looking sassy!

I will add her picture from today!

As far as my ducks go, the one still hasn’t come home so I do believe the predator returned and got him 😞 I am heartbroken as we have NEVER had an issue in 2 years and yesterday it happened twice.

Virgil, my girl who is fighting, is doing her best. Today she was sassy and honking. She still is struggling to hold her head up so I am hand watering her/made her a pea mash with nutridrench and vitamins. She isn’t happy and sore but she is living and I do believe she has improved.

All my hens/ducks are angry because they are staying in the coop till this is handled.

I do truly appreciate your kind words, I do care so deeply for my flock. They are my pets/family.

IMG_4986.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom