Swollen Eye!!!

murielmarie

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
Michigan
Good morning all,

My girl, Mohawk, wouldn’t get off her roost this morning and when I took her down I noticed her one eye was closed and slightly swollen. It almost seems like she perhaps got pecked there.

I took her inside and did a warm compress then did a light Vetricyn spray mist as best I could.

I took her back out and she seems very weary/tired. Almost like she didn’t get sleep. She was just standing in one place and not really doing much more. I brought her in and I am feeding her eggs but she seems almost like she is dozing off while eating them.

What am I missing to do for her? There is no blood, no puss, and it’s not too swollen.
image.jpg

How old is she? What do her droppings look like? Have you added any new flock members in recent weeks? Could she be overheated or could the others have kept her from eating and drinking? I would keep trying to get her to drink some fluids or electrolytes, and 1 ml per every 3 pounds Poultry NutriDrench can be good for a boost. Tuna or canned cat food are good.

Have you ever noticed any eye bubbles, nasal drainage, or sneezing in any chickens? Is she having any trouble walking? Is she old enough to lay eggs? Continue to check her eye often for anything inside it.

Good morning,
Aww poor little girl. Does she have any other symptoms? But if she isnt mouth breathing and if she walks fine and didn't feel limp when you took her from her perch, it may not be anything terrible.

Looks and sounds like a basic eye irritation. I don't have great amounts of experience when it comes to eye issues but, most times, mechanical trauma or dust/debris of some kind can cause this. Is it possible she was pecked? There are some more scary possibilities, but we have no need to think scary thoughts yet.

Is she trying to scratch at the eye?

Most likely, not positively, this will be inflammation from trauma or foreign material. You are thinking about this the right way. Many times just a saline solution does ok as a treatment. Separate her for now from other chickens, if possible, and monitor her for now, and watch for worsening of eye and for new symptoms.

If she remains lethargic, it could indicate a more serious problem. If lethargy is persistent, use a general antibiotic, and a vet will be able to get to the root of it.

Last edited:
How old is she? What do her droppings look like? Have you added any new flock members in recent weeks? Could she be overheated or could the others have kept her from eating and drinking? I would keep trying to get her to drink some fluids or electrolytes, and 1 ml per every 3 pounds Poultry NutriDrench can be good for a boost. Tuna or canned cat food are good.

Have you ever noticed any eye bubbles, nasal drainage, or sneezing in any chickens? Is she having any trouble walking? Is she old enough to lay eggs? Continue to check her eye often for anything inside it.
Hello! Thank you for replying!

So no bubbles, mouth breathing a little but it was only when I was holding her in the house (I think stress). No discharge from eye. Droppings I haven’t noticed hers particular but someone does have almost a diarrhea like droppings and it was near her. Can’t be certain though.

She currently is separated in a medical cage and she did eat a little eggs. I have nutridrench along with her regular water as well.

I am hoping it is something minor but of course, as all things that can happen, I am leaving for a wedding this afternoon and won’t be back till the morning! The girl watching my animals knows to keep an eye on her but I think I am going to stop on my way home to get vet Rx and a regular
Eye saline! We did have ducklings added that I was only watching but they were always separated! And she just started laying a couple weeks ago.

Does it sound like a injury or illness do you think?

Good morning,
Aww poor little girl. Does she have any other symptoms? But if she isnt mouth breathing and if she walks fine and didn't feel limp when you took her from her perch, it may not be anything terrible.

Looks and sounds like a basic eye irritation. I don't have great amounts of experience when it comes to eye issues but, most times, mechanical trauma or dust/debris of some kind can cause this. Is it possible she was pecked? There are some more scary possibilities, but we have no need to think scary thoughts yet.

Is she trying to scratch at the eye?

Most likely, not positively, this will be inflammation from trauma or foreign material. You are thinking about this the right way. Many times just a saline solution does ok as a treatment. Separate her for now from other chickens, if possible, and monitor her for now, and watch for worsening of eye and for new symptoms.

If she remains lethargic, it could indicate a more serious problem. If lethargy is persistent, use a general antibiotic, and a vet will be able to get to the root of it.
Hello! Thank you so much for the reply.

She isn’t messing with the eye at all. There are no bubbles or anything either. I was completely convinced it was an injury until I saw how lethargic she was 😔 and of course, I leave this afternoon for a wedding and won’t be back till AM but luckily I have a great person watching my animals and staying with them.

I separated her in the medical cage and let her have the whole run to herself, she has water and crumbles on top of a seperate nutridrench dish but I will give her a little kitten wet food to sweeten the deal as I want her to be comfortable while she heals.

Tomorrow I plan to stop to get some Vet Rx and saline eye solution to be safe as I am so mad I don’t have it in my med kit! There is no limp to her, no mouth breathing if I’m not messing with her (as I’m thinking that’s a stress indicator as well), and right now she is just sleepy it seems. Which obviously makes me worry it’s more than just eye injury 😔 my poor girl. She was perfectly fine yesterday and of course the day I have to leave, she gets something wrong with her!

Hello! Thank you so much for the reply.

She isn’t messing with the eye at all. There are no bubbles or anything either. I was completely convinced it was an injury until I saw how lethargic she was 😔 and of course, I leave this afternoon for a wedding and won’t be back till AM but luckily I have a great person watching my animals and staying with them.

I separated her in the medical cage and let her have the whole run to herself, she has water and crumbles on top of a seperate nutridrench dish but I will give her a little kitten wet food to sweeten the deal as I want her to be comfortable while she heals.

Tomorrow I plan to stop to get some Vet Rx and saline eye solution to be safe as I am so mad I don’t have it in my med kit! There is no limp to her, no mouth breathing if I’m not messing with her (as I’m thinking that’s a stress indicator as well), and right now she is just sleepy it seems. Which obviously makes me worry it’s more than just eye injury 😔 my poor girl. She was perfectly fine yesterday and of course the day I have to leave, she gets something wrong with her!
You're very welcome. I'm very sorry for my late reply...

[From Below]

Short term plan:

1. A broad spectrum anti biotic (won't do any harm even if not an infection). Something field expedient like FishMox will hit Gram Test Positive and Negative pathogens.
2. Good hydration and yes--easy to eat foods like your kitten food.
3. Give comfort and monitor until you can mobilize Mohawk to a Vet.

Right. So if it was just one closed eye but normal energy, eating and moving well, then I feel you would not be so worried enough as to post this morning. I see how worried you are. The lethargy can indicate a bigger issue. We now start thinking something infectious may also be a possibility. (May it not be something too intense). But this is where something like a broad spectrum anti-biotic comes in. (Wondering if you have anything?)

She is so cute--no, just beautiful, and obviously in wonderful condition, from how she appears even in your pic there...

Lethargy could be as simple as pain, but I don't like betting on that only. We must be ready for the more intense of problems. You know your flock, yourself--and know she's just not acting right today, right? Trust your instinct, number one. I also can feel from over here just how much you love her and want her to be okay. I see your concern for her. Animals are perceptive and she gets it :) (My little hen does, when she is in troubles).

Perfect--that you moved Mohawk out to the medical cage. (Goodness! You really are very aware and wow... you even have such as a medical cage. Brilliant!) Absolutely--you're going great here, doing everything just right: Nutridrench and wet kitten food. You're very aware, and you probably have picked up on something very very quickly. (This is what I do, too). So it is sometimes hard to pick what is going on. The earliest symptoms can often be the most vague, giving us little to go by. I feel you may not have an antibiotic available. Ok. Then it will be a case of supportive measures--good hydration (given the nasty heat especially). Something "primitive" and basic such as cinnamon and oregano people have used (I have used) to treat all manner of things, (bacterial and viral), when really pushed, and could be a way-out possiblity until you can get something else. Even something like FishMox (penicillin for aquarium fish, and available at most good pet stores) can be used for poultry in a "field expedient" sense.

Aw. I know how it is when your med kit proves a little low on the right supplies (be kind to yourself, you're getting this right). I sense she is in good condition and will wait for vet intervention and the Rx (good med term!) Yes, some sterile saline and such will be right on the target. But don't beat up on yourself, please.

I know how rotten it feels when you're little hen is doing fine yesterday and there's a big downturn overnight. Then, it could be very early signs of a bigger infection. Marek's all the way to Coryza to whatever they got next against our chickens. Might pull up short of something as dire as Marek's. There is a host of things else. Lethargy could be a sign of pain, but I sense you doubt it or sense something else is at work.

Short term plan:
1. A broad spectrum anti biotic (won't do any harm even if not an infection). Something field expedient like FishMox will hit Gram Test Positive and Negative pathogens.

Never give anything away online, please, since you never know who is watching and why. But I sense education about you, an active mind, maybe training in medicine, or an interest in medicine, or someone involved in medicine in your world? Not too sure :) But I feel a very practical and systematic way about you. This is why Mohawk will be ok--you're in-tune, and see things right away, without being over-zealous. I sense she will be ok over all. (Said one guy who once studied med to you...)

Be blessed. This will be rough for a couple of days. But I sense she will do okay, thanks to your quick action and by your not dismissing anything :)

Ah, and Wedding! These things always happen at the most inopportune of times. And a trustworthy person to watch her as you go, just perfect. Giving them any sort of action plan ( in case of down turn) might be something too... "In case of .... then please do .... ". I hope nothing I have said sounds too patronizing.

Blessings to you. This will be ok.

You're very welcome. I'm very sorry for my late reply...

[From Below]

Short term plan:

Right. So if it was just one closed eye but normal energy, eating and moving well, then I feel you would not be so worried enough as to post this morning. I see how worried you are. The lethargy can indicate a bigger issue. We now start thinking something infectious may also be a possibility. (May it not be something too intense). But this is where something like a broad spectrum anti-biotic comes in. (Wondering if you have anything?)

She is so cute--no, just beautiful, and obviously in wonderful condition, from how she appears even in your pic there...

Lethargy could be as simple as pain, but I don't like betting on that only. We must be ready for the more intense of problems. You know your flock, yourself--and know she's just not acting right today, right? Trust your instinct, number one. I also can feel from over here just how much you love her and want her to be okay. I see your concern for her. Animals are perceptive and she gets it :) (My little hen does, when she is in troubles).

Perfect--that you moved Mohawk out to the medical cage. (Goodness! You really are very aware and wow... you even have such as a medical cage. Brilliant!) Absolutely--you're going great here, doing everything just right: Nutridrench and wet kitten food. You're very aware, and you probably have picked up on something very very quickly. (This is what I do, too). So it is sometimes hard to pick what is going on. The earliest symptoms can often be the most vague, giving us little to go by. I feel you may not have an antibiotic available. Ok. Then it will be a case of supportive measures--good hydration (given the nasty heat especially). Something "primitive" and basic such as cinnamon and oregano people have used (I have used) to treat all manner of things, (bacterial and viral), when really pushed, and could be a way-out possiblity until you can get something else. Even something like FishMox (penicillin for aquarium fish, and available at most good pet stores) can be used for poultry in a "field expedient" sense.

Aw. I know how it is when your med kit proves a little low on the right supplies (be kind to yourself, you're getting this right). I sense she is in good condition and will wait for vet intervention and the Rx (good med term!) Yes, some sterile saline and such will be right on the target. But don't beat up on yourself, please.

I know how rotten it feels when you're little hen is doing fine yesterday and there's a big downturn overnight. Then, it could be very early signs of a bigger infection. Marek's all the way to Coryza to whatever they got next against our chickens. Might pull up short of something as dire as Marek's. There is a host of things else. Lethargy could be a sign of pain, but I sense you doubt it or sense something else is at work.

Short term plan:

Never give anything away online, please, since you never know who is watching and why. But I sense education about you, an active mind, maybe training in medicine, or an interest in medicine, or someone involved in medicine in your world? Not too sure :) But I feel a very practical and systematic way about you. This is why Mohawk will be ok--you're in-tune, and see things right away, without being over-zealous. I sense she will be ok over all. (Said one guy who once studied med to you...)

Be blessed. This will be rough for a couple of days. But I sense she will do okay, thanks to your quick action and by your not dismissing anything :)

Ah, and Wedding! These things always happen at the most inopportune of times. And a trustworthy person to watch her as you go, just perfect. Giving them any sort of action plan ( in case of down turn) might be something too... "In case of .... then please do .... ". I hope nothing I have said sounds too patronizing.

Blessings to you. This will be ok.
Thank you so much for the words. I think you may be giving me a bit more credit than I deserve as I am always feeling like I missed something but I am very observant!

She is an extremely healthy girl and the only sign of issue is her eye staying closed (which I can’t even really say is swollen just irritated looking) and her lethargy. Which I know isn’t like her, she didn’t even want the kitten wet food :(

Currently I don’t have any antibiotics on hand for something like this so tomorrow I will get some - I just hope she is okay till then. She is making a low cluck nose, like she is in distress and idk if it’s cuz she is seperated from the flock or in pain but it’s breaking my heart. I already have plans A B C in place for if things go south as I know they can quick.

My initial thoughts were a peck to the eye but now it seems much more like an illness. Which is of course rough since I don’t know much more about what it could be and none of my other girls are showing symptoms.

Her eye that is shut does look red when I look into it so I’m just not sure :(

I will be doing exactly what you stated for short term plan and then get her better asap ❤️

Thank you so very much for the kind words and encouragement.

Her eye is looking a bit more swollen now but I’m watching her eat (not the kitten food but crumbles but I will take it)

Attachments

• IMG_4913.jpeg
    IMG_4913.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 8
Well, I hope anything I say is helpful, and maybe just perhaps here and there you're allowed a bit more credit too :) Her eye doesn't look cloudy or anything nasty like that, so... you might be, probably are, in good stead. I sense a stability, even though the swelling has developed a little more. I think she's going to be okay, just a sense on the four winds coming to me. Awww she's adorable though! It is imperative she does fine.

You're most welcome. I say it as best I see it. And you're going great, and you can feel good that you're right on top of this.

Aww she's eating, anything, so yes! Definitely take that. It means she's feeling not so bad in herself.

I think we can safely estimate that on a scale like this:

okish<------------------------------------------------------->nasty stuff

She is probably *here* (excuse my hokey looking sketches, please)

Okish<---------[*]------------------------------------------->nasty stuff

Vigilance and being able to come in quick with a plan B will be right on the mark.

Please let me know how Mohawk does? (I love that name, by the way!) She is going to be very ok. You're doing fine. And enjoy the wedding.

Thank you so much! I most certainly will let you know how she is doing ☺️
Any time. Pleaae do. Feel free to message me directly or update your thread here, whichever you may prefer.

All the very best. I get the feel Mohawk is going to be just fine, even quicker than we think. :)

Back
Top Bottom