Swollen Eye!!!

Mohawk is still doing good, she’s angry because since the predator attack I’m not letting them free range right now
You're very welcome :)

Great, I'm happy to hear that Mohawk is going along fine. And sure, she might still be recovering and definitely good move with vetRx follow up. Your actions were exactly right and have been all along. Haha yes, she feels better and wants to be ranging. But you seem to always know what to do! And I wouldn't let her out right now either. And she will just have to accept it for now. hehe sassy! Perfect.

Do you have any idea about the predator in your area? Perhaps hawk, eagle? Something with four legs? An internet search in your area might be able to get some results--maybe other people are experiencing losses to their smaller animals, and maybe someone has identified it. Fox? Wound type, depth of penetration, spacing between bites can help. Rangers in parks would look for tracks, urine markings, fur deposits. Also whether the attacks happen mostly at day or night helps too...Ah see? I'm now trying to hunt your predator. I wish I could help more with that.

I completely agree with you, they love to free range, scratch around :) I get guilt of some sort when I cant let my little lady out.

Aw well, look at her in the pic, looking all fine and strong! She looks great!

But I can't help but feel your sadness about your ducks. I'm deeply sorry. People who dont have birds, poultry, they find it hard to understand how we can feel so down when something happens. But, if it was their dog or cat, it would be different. But yes, they are family. They have personalities, likes, dislikes, social culture. Love. It is to lose a family member when we lose one of our flock members.

Wow... twice in a day after two years of security. Something has staked a claim close by. Foxes for one can range 2-6 square miles, unless terrain is rocky or hilly. I wonder how you feel about traps and baits?

Yay--Virgil sassy and honking. That makes me smile. I keep getting this thing come to me that your flock is robust, in strong fighting order. I think Virgil will be just fine, and it will be a rockier journey, but I feel youre right there and very aware, and youre doing everything right. And, of course, be careful when it comes to any possibility of secondary infection, making sure wounds start closing and are not showing signs of pus suddenly, etc. Hand watering and pea mash with nutridrench and vitamins--perfect. She sounds this good this soon--it's positive :)

Aw your hens and ducks will just have to be a little angry for a little longer. I wish you had eyes on the predator. A feel I get is that it is possible you may not directly have to deal with it... could be someone else does and the attacks just quietly stop. Especially if youre in an area with other farms and ranches.

I'm really glad I was able be here for you. Really nice to connect with you, even if during a crisis. Please do feel free to keep me in the loop about Virgil and the predator. I love the pics and updates, and I want with will extraordinary for Virgil to pull through now.

It was great to hear from you today! :)
~Eurochook (aka Mitchell)

Back
Top Bottom