Swollen eye

cooleydooley

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
Just noticed yesterday that one of my black maran's eye was swollen. Seems even worse today. Otherwise she is seeming ok, eating and laying etc. The rest of my flock (7 others) are ok. Here is what it looks like. She is next to impossible to catch so haven't been able to get a hold of her to look closer.

Keep an eye on her. This happened to our EE about a month ago, only on one side. Her eye was even watering a bit the first day when it was still swelling. But the swelling was isolated to only the one side and she was behaving perfectly normally, otherwise. On day three, the swelling decreased rapidly and you couldn't tell anything had happened by day four. We're pretty sure she got stung by a wasp or something, because chickens are not very prudent about where they dig and/or stick their heads sometimes.
hmm.png

Thanks - I will be doing just that. Was worried that it could be eye worm or something worse.

If she'll let you, take a good look at it and see if you see any evidence of something actually in her eye. If you find anything, best to get her to a vet. If her behavior changes or this doesn't improve in a few days, I'd take her as well.

Back
Top Bottom