swollen eyed chicken help!

layinfram

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
texas
Can someone ease tell me what is wrong with her eye. This popped up about 4 days ago and I cant pin this down. Ive read tons of forums and most swollen eyes have the same symptoms. She was weezing a little yesterday. I gave her some vet rx. Her other eye is starting to look like the one in the pic. But not as bad. Ive checked for eye worms and didnt see anything. Ive flushed with saline. I dont want to give her the wrong meds.

20131009_190709.jpg

The lesions around the eye and on the wattle look a bit like pox. Could it be wet fowl pox?

You're absolutely correct Eggcessive, it's fowl pox for sure, NOT MG. I missed the nodules around the eye and ear.
Layinfram: I'm apologize, I overlooked the scabs. Luckily Eggcessive caught it. I'm glad your dealing with fowl pox rather than MG. Fowl pox will eventually go away on its own in about a month, more or less. Your bird(s) will be immune to that particular strain thereafter. Eggs are safe to eat.

Last edited:
Meds are usually not necessary for fowl pox since it is a virus. However, if she develops secondary bacterial infection in the eye where pus pockets start forming (as in Casportpony's thread) an antibiotic may be useful. She used baytrill which is by prescription only, and vets aren't supposed to prescribe that for chickens anymore because of causing bacterial resistant strains, an FDA law passed years ago. Tylan is more of a respiratory disease drug and probably wouldn't work. If you could get amoxicillin or keflex (or an equivilant) from your vet, that might work. I would probably watch it for a day or two. Be sure and check her mouth and throat again.

Back
Top Bottom