swollen eyes with discharge? i'm new to this what do i do?

duckdan34

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
a few of my chickens have swollen eyes with a discharge. looks like a human eye cold almost. my husband and i are new to raising chickens and ducks so i really don't know what to do. And for some reason my hens aren't layng any eggs. has anyone had a similar experiance? if so what should i do?

Hey duckdan. Sounds like you could have a few different things... BUT what you need to do is get them started on antibiotics ASAP. You should be able to get tylan 50 from Tractor Supply or Family Farm and Home. You will need a needle for breast injection. If you can't do breast, you can do orally. 1/2cc for 7-10 days for standard birds, and 1/4cc for banties.

I would wipe their eyes out with baby wipes and dribble some of the Tylan into the infected eye as well as giving them shots of it.

This clears them up quickly as I have dealt with this with turkeys recently.

Have you noticed any smell from the discharge? If there is a foul smell you may be dealing with Coryza.... there are many people on this site that can help you further... try DAWG - whatever the issue is you should isolate any birds that show signs of illness.

I wish you luck!

Suzie

You don't see any symptoms of fowl pox also do you? Sometimes this happens with some strains of fowl pox. What kind of chickens do you have? Mine are not laying much right now due to molting.

Back
Top Bottom