Swollen eyes

louiseschwieker

Songster
Jul 6, 2016
I have a hen who is about 2 years old. she's had something wrong with her eyes for about 2 weeks now. The first week I have her tylan 50 and this week I'm giving her oxytetractcline. I've also been putting microcyn eye gel in her eye for a while also. Any help would be appreciated.
20181104_215016.jpg
20181104_215144.jpg

Poor baby. It sounds like you are doing a good job. Do you know if you are giving the correct dosing? You would base it off her weight. Can you gently open the eyes and flush with sterile eye wash?

Since it is on both sides, I suspect a repiratory/sinus issue. How is her breathing?

I just saw some little white mites all over her eyes! I have her a bath in dawn (body only) and put olive oil on her head and eyes. I dusted her with some wood ash. She's shaking her head a lot though. What else can I do?

Get the ivermectin pour-on that was recommended in your other thread, and put the drops on the back of her neck between her shoulders after parting the feathers to make contact with her skin. It is $20 at TSC. They are probably lice, but they could be mites. Lice eggs can usually be seen as small white clumps at the base of feathers.

You can also use permethrin concentrate, mixed with water per label instructions for chickens, sprayed on her skin with a spray bottle wherever lice are found. Usually they will be around and under the vent, but others can be around the neck and under wings. TSC sells pint bottles to mixed with water for under $10.

upload_2018-11-5_7-59-7.jpeg
upload_2018-11-5_8-0-51.jpeg

Get the ivermectin pour-on that was recommended in your other thread, and put the drops on the back of her neck between her shoulders after parting the feathers to make contact with her skin. It is $20 at TSC. They are probably lice, but they could be mites. Lice eggs can usually be seen as small white clumps at the base of feathers.

You can also use permethrin concentrate, mixed with water per label instructions for chickens, sprayed on her skin with a spray bottle wherever lice are found. Usually they will be around and under the vent, but others can be around the neck and under wings. TSC sells pint bottles to mixed with water for under $10.

View attachment 1582020View attachment 1582022
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom