Swollen Eyes

corrine1989

Hatching
Jan 20, 2021
I have a hen and a rooster with two different eye issues
my hen has like bubbles coming out of her eye but is eating and drinking normally
my rooster this morning woke up with his eye 3 times its normal size, looks like something bit him maybe a spider.

I am a first timer I do have penicillin on hand injectable only
thoughts?

Do you have any pictures? Are you seeing any other symptoms, such as gasping, sneezing, crackles or wheezes when breathing? Bubbles in an eye and eyelid swelling in separate chickens can be signs of a respiratory disease. Those can include mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Antibiotics such as Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline and a few others are sometimes effective in treating those, but they remain carriers of the disease. Symptoms can return in times of stress.

Do you have any pictures? Are you seeing any other symptoms, such as gasping, sneezing, crackles or wheezes when breathing? Bubbles in an eye and eyelid swelling in separate chickens can be signs of a respiratory disease. Those can include mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Antibiotics such as Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline and a few others are sometimes effective in treating those, but they remain carriers of the disease. Symptoms can return in times of stress.
20210120_103739.jpg
20210120_103739.jpg

Attachments

• 20210120_103756.jpg
    20210120_103756.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 3
No other symptoms that i can tell

This looks like the classic signs of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG/CRD). MG is a bacterial infection of poultry it is an incurable disease, but the symptoms can be treated until next time. This bacteria is chronic, meaning that it can come back anytime when the bird is stressed. All “recovered” looking birds are asymptomatic carriers for life, shedding the bacteria through the feces, feathers, dander, respiratory secretions and other bodily fluids. If you plan on breeding to sell chicks, eggs or adult birds to others, please DO NOT ever do this, as you’d be giving someone else the disease. If you’re in the USA, MG and a few other respiratory diseases are reportable if not found. I would highly recommend getting your birds tested at your State of Agriculture or from one of these sites here:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/index.htm or
http://www.vetdna.com

It is best for you to keep a closed flock meaning, you don’t bring in anymore birds to your infected sick flock and don’t let any birds leave from your flock. Most people choose to depopulate as MG is chronic and it spreads to the offspring, but you can keep the birds until they pass on their own. Here’s more information about MG: https://afarmgirlinthemaking.com/respiratory-conditions-poultry-mycoplasma-in-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom