swollen feet on my chicken

hatty

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 27, 2007
I bought an adult chicken, a black austolop (sorry, bad speller) I think. I was told she was around 2 years old. I know she won't lay much but I just like watching my chickens in the yard. anyhow her feet are swollen at the base of her toes, one worse than the other. but there are no scabs. it seems to hurt her because she kinda limps on the one that is the most swollen. and it goes backwards under her. I read a post about bumble foot but it doesn't look like that and gout was also talked about. they said it can be treated with dietary changes. how would I diagnose gout? I'm confused this is my first year with chickens.

what are you feeding her now (including treats) and do you have any idea of her previous diet? Do you have a pic?

no pic but she seems to be walking kinda of on her toes. I have no idea what she was eating before now she eats laying pellets and I give them fresh veggies, plus they have free range of my yard so they eat whatever they find there too. yesterday I saw two of them catch and eat a frog!

Back
Top Bottom