Swollen feet

BrokenEggFarm

Songster
Feb 21, 2018
Madison, WI
I just noticed that my white crested polish rooster George has got swollen feet, but he is the only one who does. I also noticed that he has been laying down a lot. I finally got a good look at him this weekend because I came home from school and I got some pictures. Does anyone know whats wrong with him?
george feet top.jpg george feet stick.jpg

Last edited:
Bumblefoot is the most common cause of swollen feet. He may have stepped on something that drove into his footpads, causing infection and swelling. Cheat grass is the notorious culprit for causing bumblefoot here, along with goatheads, thistles, or other such nuisances.

Bumblefoot is the most common cause of swollen feet. He may have stepped on something that drove into his footpads, causing infection and swelling. Cheat grass is the notorious culprit for causing bumblefoot here, along with goatheads, thistles, or other such nuisances.
So is there any way I could reduce the swelling? Maybe soaking his feet in warm Epsom salt?

Yes, Epsom salts are a great start. If you can look at the foot, see if you can find the injury site after a soak. There are some guides on this website for bumblefoot surgery if you feel comfortable performing it yourself. Bumblefoot surgery is removing the infection from the foot. If you don't feel comfortable, seek a veterinarian.

What do his foot pads look like? Are there any scabs present that appear like classic Bumblefoot? It is possible that he could have articular Gout. I am not saying it is not Bumblefoot, but more pictures could help. Gout can cause lumpy swelling of the feet and toes. Gout is fairly rare, but can be caused by many different things, such as hereditary, a diet either too high in protein or salt, aflatoxin poisoning or mold, and others. You could Google "gout in chickens" for pictures and information.

What do his foot pads look like? Are there any scabs present that appear like classic Bumblefoot? It is possible that he could have articular Gout. I am not saying it is not Bumblefoot, but more pictures could help. Gout can cause lumpy swelling of the feet and toes. Gout is fairly rare, but can be caused by many different things, such as hereditary, a diet either too high in protein or salt, aflatoxin poisoning or mold, and others. You could Google "gout in chickens" for pictures and information.
I'm back at school so I sadly cannot acquire those pictures, so I will try to get my mom or my sister to take care of him who are at home.

Back
Top Bottom