Swollen Foot in Khaki Campbell Drake

pekincochin12

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
Hello all!
A few days ago, I was out checking on my coops and saw that my Khaki Campbell drake (Puddles) is limping on his left leg. I caught him and saw that his foot is quite swollen. Photos of a comparison between his feet are below.
My concern is that it’s the joint and I am worried about a joint infection. (Another Pekin I have had one over the summer and it was a long recovery process). I soaked his foot in warm water the day I found it (he only tolerated about 5 minutes) and I have beeing giving metacam. He’s now isolated in a small spot inside his coop to rest, where he's been for a few days. I checked him again this AM, and the area is still swollen and slightly warm now. There's no scabs or sign of bumble foot.

I’m wondering if anyone has any further advice. I’m not looking to rush him to a vet, as the closest one that will see him is an hour from me and I’m a college student. My parents already think I’m crazy for taking my other drake to the vet over the summer. Of course, if it escalated, I’d reconsider. I do have duramycin on hand if needed, but I don’t want to just jump to a random antibiotic. But, if it doesn’t start improving, should I start that? What would be the dosage? Someone else suggested amoxicillin; would that be better? What's the dosage for that?

Attachments

• 1642524293521.png
    1642524293521.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5582.JPG
    IMG_5582.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5584.JPG
    IMG_5584.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If it is just the one ankle, I would think that it may be an injury. Mycoplasma synovitis which causes joint swelling in poultry, usually effects both feet and hock joints. Medicating with antibiotics is difficult for MS, and it doesn’t cure the disease. I would feel better if @MissLydia or @Isaac 0 gives their opinion, since I know more about chickens than ducks.

If it is just the one ankle, I would think that it may be an injury. Mycoplasma synovitis which causes joint swelling in poultry, usually effects both feet and hock joints. Medicating with antibiotics is difficult for MS, and it doesn’t cure the disease. I would feel better if @MissLydia or @Isaac 0 gives their opinion, since I know more about chickens than ducks.
Thank you, I'm hoping he just twisted it or something. When I took my drake in over the summer for a swollen hock, the vet diagnosed him with an infected joint. He was on antibiotics and pain meds for several weeks. We did send out a culture, but no bacteria grew, so I guess we'll never know exactly what it was. From what I can find online, amoxicillin has much more available dosage information, so I may go that route as opposed to the duramycin. I'm afraid to inject because of the possibility of muscle necrosis.

@Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia today I think the swelling is slightly worse and it now feels warm. Any advice?

I'd start soaking the leg in Epsom salt water[warm] if he won't tolerate soaking use a wrap by placing a cloth or small towel in Epsom salt water ring out till it isn't dripping and wrap the swollen area. Wrap your duck in a towel to keep him still. We say over on the duck thread " like a duck burrito"This will keep him from fighting. Do this at least 2X a day.
http://www.poultrypedia.com/medicine-chart give dosage for meds for poultry many of us have used amoxicillin for bumblefoot by my go to now is Baytril. https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/chicken-medications
Try the warm Epsom salt wraps and rest if this doesn't help then order the Baytril or order the Baytril so you have it in just in case as many of us have.
Giving you this link because it has a dosage for Baytril.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-bumblefoot-post.1492463/#post-24896429
Unless a vet examines and gives a diagnosis, we can only suggest different things to help. But if it is a injury the soaks and rest should help. If an infection then hopefully the Amoxicillin or Baytril whichever you decide will help.
Please keep us updated.

I'd start soaking the leg in Epsom salt water[warm] if he won't tolerate soaking use a wrap by placing a cloth or small towel in Epsom salt water ring out till it isn't dripping and wrap the swollen area. Wrap your duck in a towel to keep him still. We say over on the duck thread " like a duck burrito"This will keep him from fighting. Do this at least 2X a day.
http://www.poultrypedia.com/medicine-chart give dosage for meds for poultry many of us have used amoxicillin for bumblefoot by my go to now is Baytril. https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/chicken-medications
Try the warm Epsom salt wraps and rest if this doesn't help then order the Baytril or order the Baytril so you have it in just in case as many of us have.
Giving you this link because it has a dosage for Baytril.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-bumblefoot-post.1492463/#post-24896429
Unless a vet examines and gives a diagnosis, we can only suggest different things to help. But if it is a injury the soaks and rest should help. If an infection then hopefully the Amoxicillin or Baytril whichever you decide will help.
Please keep us updated.
Thank you. I did order the baytril, so once it comes in, I'll begin that. He seems to be limping less now, but the leg is a little more swollen. Fingers crossed the shipment gets here sooner rather than later!

Keep us updated on how he is doing. Make sure he isn't overdoing and resting.
Warm swims in the tub can help relieve pressure and keep the muscles from getting weak.

Keep us updated on how he is doing. Make sure he isn't overdoing and resting.
Warm swims in the tub can help relieve pressure and keep the muscles from getting weak.
Update: So, I've been doing the best I can with him - even with two people, he flails his legs and I've been told "no" to the bath tub idea, though after seeing his foot today, I may push that further tomorrow. I have also been giving metacam. However, it looks significantly worse today and is very bruised now with swelling starting at the base of the middle toe (photos below of the bad foot, good foot, and both feet together for comparison), so I'm concerned it's infected and glad I ordered baytril. I felt all over, and it does feel like there's some fluid in there, and there's the tiniest of abrasions on his foot pad (nothing that resembles bumble foot). The baytril says it's going to "arrive by 9PM tonight." Seeing how bad the foot suddenly got, I dug deep through my stock of pet supplies and found 2 tablets of baytril from my cat (she was under treatment for routine UTI with vet when she passed this summer). I gave him one (based on dosage of the liquid, it was within a few milligrams for a dose) and am hoping to see improvement tomorrow. Anything else I should be doing?

Attachments

• IMG_5638.JPG
    IMG_5638.JPG
    461 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5640.JPG
    IMG_5640.JPG
    569.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5641.JPG
    IMG_5641.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5643.JPG
    IMG_5643.JPG
    415.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5644.JPG
    IMG_5644.JPG
    505.6 KB · Views: 4
@Miss Lydia @Isaac 0 So tomorrow is his last dose of Baytril. While the leg is better, it's no where near 100%. After the first 2-3 doses, I saw significant improvement in the swelling and the bruising disappeared. The swelling has not continued to decrease as I expected and was slightly more puffy this afternoon than it was this AM. Only change was that he got out to swim in his kitty pool, so he was more active today. Should I continue baytril for longer than the 5 days or stop and see what happens? I will continue the metacam regardless. I just know that with other animals baytril is given for longer periods of time.

Back
Top Bottom