Swollen head???? Help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MamaJoJo, Aug 13, 2013.

1. MamaJoJo

MamaJoJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    North East Alabama
    My favorite (of course) rooster, blue wheaten maran, 16 weeks old, has a gunky yellow discharge from his left nostril, as well as swollen eye area and wattle on left side. He was lethargic earlier today and though I began antibiotics today and he seems a little better he still is not himself. I bought a pair of easter eggers last week who began sneezing after I brought them home but they have no other symptoms st this time. Last night I used safegaurd to deworm my flock, this was before the rooster had any signs of being sick. I don't know how to treat because I'm not sure what he has. As I said I began antibiotics and b12 in the water and yogurt free choice. I scoured the coop today and isolated him. Could a sinus infection cause swollen head and wattle? I have been trying to match his symptoms with diseases and infections all day and am more confused now than ever. Any ideas on what could be wrong and any suggestions for treatment will be greatly appreciated. I should mention I also took a hot rag compress and held it to the side of his gave and it loosened the hard crusties in his nose and I cleaned out out really well twice today. Please help.
    Edited to add: I forgot to mention there is no gasping coughing sneezing or raspy sounds or anything that would lead me to believe it might be respiratory at this time.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Given the others started sneezing when you brought them in, maybe that was just a reaction to pollen or environmental irritants at your place they're not used to.

Various things could be wrong with your rooster from disease, which can affect one side only though it's not common, to having an object lodged in his sinus. I personally think that may be the case. Some insects like to get up in there. It could cause a swollen head, face, wattle etc. I would suspect a pretty nasty inner ear infection, perhaps due to some foreign body. I would give him freshly minced raw garlic as that's been proven to kill infections the most powerful man made antibiotics have failed to touch. If there is any source of white sugar in his diet I would remove it. Molasses has white sugar in it unless it's Blackstrap molasses. He sounds like his immune system is below the weather. If pus goes yellow, or solid, generally it means the immune system is not at peak performance.

I would stop supplying him with yogurt because it makes sinus infections worse in humans, usually. It may also have sugar or over-processed sweeteners in it. Any dairy product that's been pasteurized contributes to mucus and pus solidifying, and any active probiotics they added back in once it was heat treated doesn't make the difference it needs to. That's why children as well as adults are often advised to lay off dairy products when they have ear or lung infections. If he's the only one with that infection he should not have processed dairy products. I'd possibly fast him, no food for a day, so his body can devote all its resources to tackling the infection. But if he's already been fasting then I wouldn't do that.

I'd give raw fresh garlic, as much as he wants to eat, raw onion possibly too (blood cleanser) and if possible slippery elm bark. That's a strong antiseptic mucilage that disinfects the mucosal membranes and speeds their healing. It's also a very nutrient dense food especially good for convalescents. It is expensive but only a little needs using, and one bag can last may months and help save many lives. It's the specific treatment for bacillary white diarrhea, for example. But it's also useful for anything and everything wrong with any mucous membrane, from the tip of the beak to the vent and everything in between.

I would also make rosemary/ sage/ mint/ herbs available in his feed, or in a herbal tea, along with anything natural used to help with colds in humans --- it works for chooks too --- like oregano, thyme, lemon, chamomile, etc... Such plants have various active properties that range from antiviral and antibiotic through to anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, etc. Honey is a great multipurpose feed to add, if it's unpasteurized, since it's got antibiotics, enzymes, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and many more healing properties.

Best wishes with whatever your choice is.

1 person likes this.
  3. MamaJoJo

MamaJoJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    North East Alabama
    Thank you for your help. He is doing much better now. I think the thing that helped the most were the warm rag compresses. Lol.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    lol! Well, anything that helps stop the blocking up of his natural eliminatory channels is a good idea. Hope he makes a full recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by