Swollen Hot Feet- Purple Toenail and not using that foot....help....

sebastianseven

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Our kids favorite chicken has had swollen feet for a couple weeks -- no sores,so not bumblefoot. Both legs/feet affected. We thought maybe mites so we treated for that -- poultry dust, dipped feet in mineral oil. We treat her with vaseline every couple of days. She has been putting herself to bed early these days, and today she is in the coop and laying around, not using her more affected foot at all. The toenail is now purple.... I've searched and searched the internet to no avail, I'm afraid it's too late. Help?

Our kids favorite chicken has had swollen feet for a couple weeks -- no sores,so not bumblefoot. Both legs/feet affected. We thought maybe mites so we treated for that -- poultry dust, dipped feet in mineral oil. We treat her with vaseline every couple of days. She has been putting herself to bed early these days, and today she is in the coop and laying around, not using her more affected foot at all. The toenail is now purple.... I've searched and searched the internet to no avail, I'm afraid it's too late. Help?
Could you post a photo? It sounds like she could have some sort of infection.

Your chicken may have gout. Most of the time when there is swelling of both legs, that is suspected. It is build up of uric acid in the body, thought to happen due to too much protein, calcium, or vitamin D-3 in the diet, or past exposure to infectious brochitis. You may have come across this thread in your searches, but here is a good picture of gout: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/620669/swollen-feet-still-swollen-scales-are-black-mites In this thread there are many references to articles on gout.

Last edited:

The pics aren't very good, my 9 year old took them. I hate to disturb her. The foot has been hot but is now cool to the touch. There are no sores on her foot. I separated her because the others are starting to pick on her.

Yes, the pic in that thread is exactly what they look like. I'll have to read up after dinner.
THanks. (I did read to give them cherries and she ate them up!)

Your chicken may have gout. Most of the time when there is swelling of both legs, that is suspected. It is build up of uric acid in the body, thought to happen due to too much protein, calcium, or vitamin D-3 in the diet, or past exposure to infectious brochitis. You may have come across this thread in your searches, but here is a good picture of gout: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/620669/swollen-feet-still-swollen-scales-are-black-mites In this thread there are many references to articles on gout.
I agree--I think that sebastienseven's chicken has gout.

I'm reading up on gout... so I separated her, and am giving her fresh fruits and veggies and oatmeal (whole grain? -- should I cook it?) and ACV in her water..... anything else I should be doing? Thank you so much for your input. I was at such a loss, feeling helpless about losing this sweet girl. My daughter nursed this one back to health as a chick -- she was a runt and didn't grow for a month! and then grew so slowly.

Well.... no happy ending here ...... I was able to contact a vet that my cooperative extension referred me to. She said it sounded like an infection and suggested duramycin. I went right out and bought that and put it in her water. She didn't seem to be drinking the water so we started giving it to her from a syringe. she did eat her food soaked in the water. She seemed to be doing better yesterday -- after a foot soak she kind of even went through the motions of using the foot in the grass -- albeit ever so gingerly. Today she's not moving. Her middle toe is black. I don't think she's going to make it. ugh. I'll call the vet again on Tues but I don't think she'll make it that long.

The claw going blackish indicates it's necrotic, I think. This is likely due to loss of circulation. When I read the thread title I thought it was a human describing the effects of advanced diabetes. Animals can get diabetes too.

Antibiotics won't tackle the cause of a lack of circulation in the majority of cases. Oxygen is necessary to restore but it is very late in the day, so to speak, to do that. The leg sounds like it's already been dying for a while.

On another thread somewhere, someone had a chook who lost use of their leg. When a post mortem was done, the tendon had simply become spongy and squishy, and snapped like wet tissue paper. I read that this is genetic in some, caused by disease in others, but sometimes there is a similar issue which causes loss of circulation and muscle death follows. This could be the same. Sorry I don't have more info, I have only recently learnt of this myself. Normally I am keen to do all that is possible to see if the animal can be saved but this is pretty far gone and I don't know how well the animal would do without a foot. It may be best to cull, but you may find something that works in time. Best wishes. I will PM you with some suggestions.

@Eggcessive: rolled oats are steamed, as far as I know, not raw.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom