Swollen legs

Tara Elless

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
Both of my ducks are struggling. They are both about 10 months old and the heavier female presented lane first. We found her in coup laying down and she did not try to move when I approached. I found that her left leg was causing her pain and she wouldn’t put weight on it. I brought her in and put her in the bath, got her comfortable on a pallet with food and water and started doing my research. I took her to a local vet that doesn’t specify in poultry, but was my best option. She suggested maybe a strain or niacin issue. That next day, male duck was limping. Seemed too coincidental to be a strain for both. I took them both to emergency vet and they tested blood and ensured nothing was broken. No issues in blood. So I ordered niacin and got a different feed for them. It’s been about 3 weeks and they are not putting weight on their foot. The female now has a very swollen foot. Not the same foot and idk if it’s from not standing or what. They get daily baths to keep their legs moving and I even add live fish for them. No visible injuries or bumble foot. I cannot bear to put them down. Idk what to do or if I’m doing something wrong. Please help.

Thanks for the replies. Here are some pictures. I cannot bear to lose either of them. The female (gray) won’t stand at all and is very swollen. Male will stand but puts very little weight on left foot.
I can't see anywhere whether it states flush free or not, but 35mg of niacin is too low when trying to combat a deficiency especially if it is diluted at all (mixed in feed or water). The Durvet B complex that @Miss Lydia mentioned has 100mg per 1 ml which as she also mentioned you give orally either via syringe if you know how or over a treat that you can watch them eat so you know they ate all of it.

First off welcome, and I’m very sorry this is happening to you and your ducks. Is there some way your ducks could have injured themselves in their coop or run? Is there a large step or something they could trip or stumble over? Do they have any cuts or scratches you can see on their legs? Can you post pictures of them and their injured legs from different angles?

Bless their hearts. First off has anyone been chasing them? I know sometimes kids will chase ducks for fun and that can cause leg injuries. Can you think of anything outside that they could have gotten injured on Jumped up and down on? Did the vet give you any idea what might be going on with their legs? If mine I would get liquid B complex and try it. Keep them from overdoing but give them warm water therapy at least 1x a day so they can float and use their legs it is really good for getting strength back. How is their appetite? If you have a TSC close by they carry the liquid B complex and it will say injectable but we use it orally 1 ML each over a tasty treat not in their water it gets too diluted. I believe TSC carries the Durvet Liquid B complex. I have to order on line since I don't have a TSC close. This pic is what your looking for. Just not the brand TSC carries.
IMG_1292.jpeg

What breed?

Back
Top Bottom