Swollen lump near ear !

Being hard could be an indication of a tumor or cyst, but if you think it could be a respiratory infection, then Tylan 50 injectable can be given at 1/2 ml for under 5 pounds, and 1 ml for over 5 punds twice a day for 3-5 days. Be sure to use some plain yogurt for probiotics during and after giving antibiotics. If you think it could be an abscess, then you could try to lance and squeeze it to see if there is pus or a solid core inside. Does it seem painful?

Being hard could be an indication of a tumor or cyst, but if you think it could be a respiratory infection, then Tylan 50 injectable can be given at 1/2 ml for under 5 pounds, and 1 ml for over 5 punds twice a day for 3-5 days. Be sure to use some plain yogurt for probiotics during and after giving antibiotics. If you think it could be an abscess, then you could try to lance and squeeze it to see if there is pus or a solid core inside. Does it seem painful?

It seems annoying to her. I thought about it possibly being a cyst or something with a core but being so close to her ear, I'm afraid to cut in to it :/ I've done several bumble foot surgeries and honestly, this feels much the same as that but the location is scary. Very intimidating.

I can understand that. You can watch it for a day or two, and see if it changes. Lancing generally is easier than bumblefoot surgery. It is basically piecing it with a scalpel, and try to sqeeze out any pus. I haven't had a swollen ear before, but hopefully, it isn' t a tumor.

I can understand that. You can watch it for a day or two, and see if it changes. Lancing generally is easier than bumblefoot surgery. It is basically piecing it with a scalpel, and try to sqeeze out any pus. I haven't had a swollen ear before, but hopefully, it isn' t a tumor.

Ok, maybe I'll attempt that tomorrow. The first thing I did when I noticed it was stab it (very carefully of course) with a needle to see if any pus came out but all that came out was blood.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, cutting in to it revealed that it was a tumor. I had to put her down as it was starting to affect her eating and breathing. I'm really disappointed. She was only a month or so from starting to lay.

Auroradream26, I'm so sorry that it was a tumor. Tumors, unfortunately can be common in chickens. It's a shame that you didn't get to see her laying eggs. At least she didn't suffer for long.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom