Swollen Nare & Beak, plus growth on left side - looks very painful

Have you been able to look instead her mouth for signs of sores/infection? Looks like pics of fowl pox I’ve seen; literature says there are two types - wet and dry. Recovery rate for dry type is much more promising.
Hi Tnctx,

Yes, I looked closely inside her mouth and throat. No sores or lesions that I could find. Please see pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 5
Can you see anything inside the beak and roof of the mouth if you look around inside there with a flashlight while someone holds her wraps in a towel? Have you had her most of her life?
Hi Eggcessive,

Please see pics. I don't see anything unusual in her mouth or throat. Yes, I've had her since she was two days old and, of course, she's my favorite.

Do you have any idea of how I can help her? This abscess, or whatever it is, looks so painful.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 6
Hi Tnctx,

Yes, I looked closely inside her mouth and throat. No sores or lesions that I could find. Please see pics.
From what I’ve read, that’s goodness, and especially so it’s flock pox. I’m sorry I don’t know enough to help you. Good luck, I hope she’s better real soon.

The reason I asked if she had been wearing peepers is because I had a hen develop scar tissue closing off one of the nares completely. I think that's what this is - scar tissue from the peepers and the injury, not pox. You might use coconut oil on the tissue and see if it softens it and reduces it some. Other than that, there's really nothing you can do for the scar tissue.

Your flock probably hasn't has the misfortune yet of getting infected with fowl pox yet, but it may be a matter of time until an infected mosquito flies by and bites a chicken. I suggest you stay ahead of it by buying the vaccine and immunizing your flock. It's cheap and easy.

The reason I asked if she had been wearing peepers is because I had a hen develop scar tissue closing off one of the nares completely. I think that's what this is - scar tissue from the peepers and the injury, not pox. You might use coconut oil on the tissue and see if it softens it and reduces it some. Other than that, there's really nothing you can do for the scar tissue.

Your flock probably hasn't has the misfortune yet of getting infected with fowl pox yet, but it may be a matter of time until an infected mosquito flies by and bites a chicken. I suggest you stay ahead of it by buying the vaccine and immunizing your flock. It's cheap and easy.
Thanks Azygous, I truly appreciate your help and advice!

Back
Top Bottom