Swollen Nare & Beak, plus growth on left side - looks very painful

John Sutter123

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2023
Hi Guys,

Please take a look at these photos. I noticed this today. Lavender Orpington about 16 months old. Compared to my other 8 chickens and the other Lavender Orpington, her beak is seriously swollen right at the base of the Comb. Plus, there is some kind of growth in front of the nare on the left side. It looks like the air holes under the nare are almost swollen shut on both sides. She's acting perfectly normal and no other signs of sickness. No other birds in the flock are having this issue.

Please let me know you if have any ideas on how to treat.

Sincerely,

John

Attachments

• IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    583.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    552.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    480.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Did she have an injury prior to developing this tumorlike growth?

Is it hard or rather soft to the touch? Warmer than the rest?

Does she smell bad when you take a whiff near her face?

Have you been able to look instead her mouth for signs of sores/infection? Looks like pics of fowl pox I’ve seen; literature says there are two types - wet and dry. Recovery rate for dry type is much more promising.

Have you been able to look instead her mouth for signs of sores/infection? Looks like pics of fowl pox I’ve seen; literature says there are two types - wet and dry. Recovery rate for dry type is much more promising.
Oops…inside her mouth…

Did she have an injury prior to developing this tumorlike growth?

Is it hard or rather soft to the touch? Warmer than the rest?

Does she smell bad when you take a whiff near her face?
Hi LaFleche,

- No injury that I ever noticed though she did have pinless peepers on for 60 days, March through April.

- It's not hard or soft. I would call it very firm. Like an abscess. It did not feel any warmer than other areas or other side.

- No smell at all from the beak area.

What is your location, please? Do you have mosquitoes?

Has this chicken ever worn pinless peepers?

It looks like a mild case of fowl pox. If you have mosquitoes, then that makes it more likely.

Paint Blu-kote or Betadine on the lesions.
Hi Azygous,

- Location is St. Petersburg, FL. Lots of mosquitoes.

- She did wear pinless peepers from March through April 60 days. When I took them off of her, her left nostril bled a small amount; so there was a bit of trauma. The large sized peepers wouldn't stay on so had to use the medium size peepers which were a little tight in my opinion. It's been 4 full months since then so I'm a bit confused why it would take so long to show up.

- I checked her mouth and throat and see no signs of wet pox. Please see photos.

- Please let me know if I should still put Betadine on the lesions.

- To me, this looks like an abscess of some sort. The beak, where it meets the comb, is extremely swollen (1.5 times the normal width). What do you think? How to treat?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. This looks like a very painful condition to me; and of course, she's my favorite bird.

Attachments

• IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG