My poor Lavender girl…

LadyLavender

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2023
My Orpington chicken is not doing well, but I can’t seem to figure out if she is sick or injured ( shows signs of both ). She is walking very slowly, almostw a limp, but no injuries on feet. Left side of body seems to be drooping, but no apparent injury to wing anywhere or side of body. Vent looks normal, not irritated or swollen. Belly doesn’t seem bloated and I don’t feel anything when I checked her belly for an unpaused egg. Comb is bright red. Definitely her back towards my other two chickens, however, they are not being mean to her. Just curious and possibly concerned??? Last time I took one of my chickens to the vet it cost me $300 for basically observing her ( with no results) and getting a prescription for pain med… wanted to do X-rays for another $150-$20 ( I declined ). She ended up dying a week later… so… trying to do OTC, gateraid for electrolytes and a low dose aspirin. If she is in pain would like to euthanize, but can’t tell…she’s been like this for about a week and a half. She is sitting on the carport with me with her poor little beak towards the wall.

Do you have Nutridrench? That would be better than Gatorade but if not I guess Gatorade would work. To me though it sounds like possible Mareks

Would it be possible to film her when she is moving around and post it here? I agree that the limping/wing hanging does sound like mareks is a possibility.

My Orpington chicken is not doing well, but I can’t seem to figure out if she is sick or injured ( shows signs of both ). She is walking very slowly, almostw a limp, but no injuries on feet. Left side of body seems to be drooping, but no apparent injury to wing anywhere or side of body. Vent looks normal, not irritated or swollen. Belly doesn’t seem bloated and I don’t feel anything when I checked her belly for an unpaused egg. Comb is bright red. Definitely her back towards my other two chickens, however, they are not being mean to her. Just curious and possibly concerned??? Last time I took one of my chickens to the vet it cost me $300 for basically observing her ( with no results) and getting a prescription for pain med… wanted to do X-rays for another $150-$20 ( I declined ). She ended up dying a week later… so… trying to do OTC, gateraid for electrolytes and a low dose aspirin. If she is in pain would like to euthanize, but can’t tell…she’s been like this for about a week and a half. She is sitting on the carport with me with her poor little beak towards the wall.
the same is happening to my hen!! did she recover?!

Back
Top Bottom