Swollen Red Butt - Had to Cull - Then disected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pam883, Dec 28, 2014.

1. pam883

pam883 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    My oldest RIR hen has had something hard growing in her bottom for some months now. At first a few months ago I thought she was egg bound and I did the epsom salts bath with no relief. Her bottom stayed messy with poo all the time. Yesterday and this afternoon I noticed her just standing and not looking good, so I did the epsom salts bath again with no luck. While bathing her I noticed how thin she was and the little noise she was making trying to breathe. She had been walking with her legs apart for a while now but today she was barely moving. I know I may be rambling and I am sorry but we made the decision to cull her tonight. Since the poor girl seemed to be hurting, I feel it was our only choice. After my husband culled her, I decided to do some investigating and did an autopsy on her and I found a huge tumor. Now I know what the problem was and I know she must have been soo miserable. I loved her so much but now I'll know if this happens again what it is....
  2. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by