Swollen side of face, Cyst Surgery

Thanks, its weird that three peacocks got swollen eyes in the same week, btw i forgot to let the swollen areas bleed first before i give them the injections, should i do it again?

Thanks, its weird that three peacocks got swollen eyes in the same week, btw i forgot to let the swollen areas bleed first before i give them the injections, should i do it again?
It could be a respiratory infection, so consider them contagious. Look up mycoplasma and coryza.

-Kathy

You made this look way too easy! I have a chicken that has a hard cyst in the same exact place. After studying your pictures I want to try this as the swelling is affection her eyesight and it is too hard to squeeze out. How much does it bleed? Can the chicken bleed to death if I cut in the wrong place? I feel like I am a mad scientist but there are no vets willing to treat a chicken in the area.

You made this look way too easy! I have a chicken that has a hard cyst in the same exact place. After studying your pictures I want to try this as the swelling is affection her eyesight and it is too hard to squeeze out. How much does it bleed? Can the chicken bleed to death if I cut in the wrong place? I feel like I am a mad scientist but there are no vets willing to treat a chicken in the area.
When i gave them the injections i forgot to let the swollen areas bleed first before i give them the injections, but after a week they were fine again.

Peacocks can get it from fighting with each other. An eye injury is easy to get and then it gets infected. Once it is infected it is called a respiratory infection due to the infection it now has filling the nasal cavity. NOT all respiratory infections are contagious. When I had a bird get one no other bird got it or had it. If your birds keep getting the infection then there is a health issue. You need to feel the lump and see if it is solid or soft. If it is hard then it will need to be lanced and removed, if it feels soft and "mushie" then Tylan 200 will cure it in a couple days. When you lance under the eye there is some bleeding but I just put some clean paper towels against it for a few minutes and it stopped. It will bleed but your bird will not bleed to death as your only cutting the skin.

Just remember that Tylan will only help if the bacteria is sensitive to it. Which is what happened here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/888717/respiratory-problem/40#post_13691005

Any vet should be able to do a swab and gram stain, that will tell you if it's a gram positive or gram negative infection and they could make a recommendation based on that. They can also send the sample to a lab for cultures and sensitivity test, but that's more money and takes time, but probably worth it to rule out mycoplasa, especially if one is selling eggs and/or chicks.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Should i give this chick half cc of Tylan 200 too? He/she is 5 months old.

I'm too sleepy now, hopefully someone could answer this tonight, i need to wake up early to get tylan from vet.

Should i give this chick half cc of Tylan 200 too? He/she is 5 months old.

I'm too sleepy now, hopefully someone could answer this tonight, i need to wake up early to get tylan from vet.
Ask your vet if you should give Tylan or Baytril, what dose to give and how often to give it. Everything I have read says that Tylan works better when given 2 times a day. Remember that Tylan will only work with certain types of bacteria, so something like Baytril might be more appropriate.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom