Swollen side of face, Cyst Surgery

A friend of mine had a peacock with a cyst on it's face.
ep.gif
I use the word "had" cause when I saw it today I took it to my house and removed the cyst. The cyst had been there for a while and was quite big. After having surgery I told them to leave him in the box til tomorrow and check him when they get home from work.
fl.gif
If everything looks OK then release him back into the pen. He should be fine in about 7 days from now
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
I have a problem with a peahens eye. I would be very grateful for any advise anyone could give.

I hope you won't mind me using this thread rather than start a new one. I was just given a silver pied hen and she has sagging skin under one of her eyes. It is very hard, almost feels like bone and is not flexible. I am worried it has healed this way and am hoping it is just a scab inside making it hard that will gradually heal. The man I got her from said she had popped it while it was swollen. I forgot to ask him how long ago it happened though and and have not had luck getting in touch with him to ask. I have given her an antibiotics injection and have her in the quarantine pen. She has shown no signs of sickness, no runny nose, sneezing, goop in her eyes, gurgling, weezing or gasping etc. Does anyone have any advise on what I can do and if it is normal for it to be hard while healing or if it has healed and will stay this way?

I am very worried about the corner of the eye being exposed like it is but since the loose skin has hardened I am not sure what to do about it. Does anyone have experience with this? She is such a sweetheart and I would really like to help her if possible.

I injected 1 cc of Tylan 200 ( which can be bought on amazon online ) right into the swollen area to cure completely. Just one shot. for a very similar swelling around eye. The swelling starts getting smaller in 3-4 days

Thank you
smile.png
I used some Liquamycin 200 which is all my local feed store had, they said it is the same stuff as tylan 200. I will get some Tylan 200 ordered in case the liquamycin 200 isn't doing a good job.

Her eye is not swollen at the moment but has a very hard flat wrinkle (feels like bone) under the eye where I was told it was swollen but was popped. I'm not sure how long ago that happened. I have not seen any change in it in the 3 days I've had her.

Last edited:
I had one that looked similar and it turned out fine. I bought a pair of white birds at auction and one obviously had the classic sinus infection. When I injected the Tylan into the sinus the abscess burst out. I drained it and irrigated it but the skin dried into a hard mass like yours. It took several months for the body to correct the tissue to normal. Just watch for crud and infections until it does. One thing I did do that may allow some elasticity is a hot compress on the area.

Oh thank you, I am so relieved. I was very afraid it would be permanent. Did you keep yours on antibiotics for awhile? I have given her 2 injections so far.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom