Swollen Side on one side of face and Pale

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wendy80, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Wendy80

Wendy80 New Egg

Feb 21, 2010
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. White Rock, almost 1 year, 4 lbs.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Normal
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? She has been pale for a while. I figured that it was normal.
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing, other than a possible bug bite. Horse flies are out now.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer feed, free range, occasional scraps (lettuce, noodles, eggs and ass. veggie trimmings)
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Haven't noticed. But will watch for any changes.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing, just observation.
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Self treatment.
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Will work on getting a photo.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Regular wood shavings from the local feed store.

I have noticed for a month or two that this chicken was a bit on the pale side. I didn't think anything of it, just thought that perhaps that was how she was made. Now, looking on this site I am wondering if there is more to it. Now, this afternoon when doing my 'chicken rounds', I wanted to take a look and see if anything else was different with her and this is when I noticed the swelling on her left side. The swelling is around the eye, the comb, and the left waddle. Her eye is clear with no discharge or blisters. These areas may be slightly warmer, but it is hard to say since it is so darn hot and humid outside. Balance and activity level are the same as the other chickens and she doesn't seem to have any change in breathing or in sound. Nostril is clear, no draining or blockage.

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I have a bird doing exactly this and is also sitting a lot. [​IMG]

Hopefully a person with more knowledge will weigh in!

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I wonder if it could be a sinus type infection. Another thing, can you see the nostril? Is it blocked at all?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. Wendy80

Wendy80 New Egg

Feb 21, 2010
    Kathyinmo: Nope no blockage or drainage at all. I am going to check on her again in the morning and see how she looks. She was still the same this evening when I put them in the hen house. I am really hoping that it is a bug bite.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by