Swollen sinus? Please advise?

The needles I use most are 22 gauge, but also use 18 gauge occasionally. The luer tip syringes I have are 1ml, 3ml, 6ml, 12ml, 30ml. Also have 60ml catheter tip syringes for tube feeding.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy. I found there were no syringes on amazon and most places will not ship to NH.
I ordered from an online farm store and sent them to a friend's address in a nearby state.
I just went to check on Jezebel. He face is actually a bit worse, with the area under her eye now whitened. I hope this Tetroxy works fast enough.

Kathy, I don't know how to do that - what do I need?

Also, I was looking through past photos and saw a photo from 9/2 where this lump on her face was small but present! I didn't notice it then.

Last edited:
Kathy, I don't know how to do that - what do I need?

Also, I was looking through past photos and saw a photo from 9/2 where this lump on her face was small but present! I didn't notice it then.
I had a hen that had a lump like that, but no other signs or respiratory disease, so I left it alone and it went away after about six months of doing nothing. I was going to cut into it, but had other more serious things to deal with at the time, so I left it alone. I'd hate to have you cut into it and make it worse, 'cause that's a very real risk. But if you do decide to, you would have to clean the area very well with something like chlorhexadine or betadine, insert an 18 gauge needle (22 is probably too small) and try to syringe some gunk or whatever it is out. If it if an infection it will probably harden up.

Here is a link that shows how peafowl people deal with hardened pus:
http://connerhills.com/sinus_infection_removal.html

-Kathy

Good news. I located a retired veterinarian who lives near me. She has MS and can no longer practice, but she sees chickens on the barter system.
She suggests warm compresses 10 min at least 1x/day and a coating of betadine mixed with sugar if it seems ready to burst. Separate chicken if it pops or is otherwise a target for pecking.
If no change (or worse) she said to bring the chicken to her and she will aspirate, if necessary.
In return I need to weed and mulch her blueberry bush. Good deal.

You might want to let the vet know that most pus in chickens is not like mammals... In dogs, cats, horses, etc, the abscess starts out sort of firm and gets softer when it's ready to burst or be lanced, but in chickens it starts out soft and then turns hard, just like the pictures in the link I posted. Sounds like you're in good hands, so I wouldn't worry too much.
big_smile.png
Maybe email the vet the sinus infection link so she can see what I mean.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom