Swollen sinus? Please advise?

SO, here I am weeks later. We did try a course of Sulfamethoxazole. It does look a little better, but still present. If anyone else has had a similar experience, please let me know. I am not sure whether to just leave it be or pursue another course of action.

I am going to take another photo tomorrow.

Is there any other way to give Baytril other than in the water? I'm not sure if I have a way to separate her. I assume you don't treat the entire flock.

Thanks for staying in touch.

Last edited:
I am going to take another photo tomorrow.

Is there any other way to give Baytril other than in the water? I'm not sure if I have a way to separate her. I assume you don't treat the entire flock.

Thanks for staying in touch.
The injectable and the other two can be given orally, which is what I would do because it's very bitter and many animals don't like the taste of it. The dose I would use would be between 0.15-0.2ml per 2.2 pounds for no more than five days.

-Kathy

Sorry... What I meant was that if I were going to give one of mine Baytril I would give it orally, not in the water.

-Kathy

UPDATE>>>>
After attempting to order the Baytril and realizing the cost with shipping would be more than a vet exam, I decided to bring her to a chicken vet.(I found a chicken vet at $58). I made an appt last Friday, for today. On Saturday, Jezebel's swelling took over one whole side of her face. Today we saw the vet and she aspirated the swelling. She said there was thick bloody discharge. She also felt the sinus is not involved. She took slides and said she'd call me with results.
She just called and said she saw no bacteria. She feels that since there is no bacteria, she did not feel an antibiotic would help. She did also do a scraping for mites, although she said there were no external signs of mites and that the skin would be more scaly. She said that at this point a biopsy would be the only thing to do. She did ask if she was vaccinated against Marek's (all my hens were) and that it was a slight possibility that could not be ruled out.
We left it that she would call me before the end of the day with an estimate for the biopsy. (I don't know if I will be able to afford that.)

If anybody reading this has had experience with something similar, please post!

Thanks!
jonalisa

Did the vet by any chance take a blood sample? Blood work can be sent and tested for all kinds of things and usually will give a lot more info then what you've rec'vd so far.

There may not be bacteria present now but if this continues, or as it progresses, it's very easy for secondary bacterial infections to get established. That's why antibiotic's are usually a good idea.

She didn't call back but when I talk to her tomorrow, I will definitely ask. Thanks so much - good info>

Back
Top Bottom