Swollen Toe Joints?

Dig the poop ball out of the crevice of her foot, that will get impacted and turn hard making it difficult for her to walk.

Scales look damaged from injury like she's knocked it against something or she or another hen is picking at them.
Doesn't look like SLM to me, but there's no harm in slathering on some vaseline.

View attachment 2749590
Alright, thank you for the responses!
If it's an injury is there anything I should do about it now, or just keep an eye on it?

I would watch it for a few days to see if it gets better/worse.

Keep us posted.
I just went out there today and saw her throw up. It was entirely liquidy, no foul smell and mostly clear
I'm changing their water right now and giving them some fresh

I just went out there today and saw her throw up. It was entirely liquidy, no foul smell and mostly clear
I'm changing their water right now and giving them some fresh
Sometimes if they drink a lot of water, some can come back up if they bend over, but it would be good to check to make sure her crop is emptying completely overnight.
If you find her crop is not empty first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, then read this article to determine what steps you need to take:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Cleaning and changing the water stations is always a good idea.

Sometimes if they drink a lot of water, some can come back up if they bend over, but it would be good to check to make sure her crop is emptying completely overnight.
If you find her crop is not empty first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, then read this article to determine what steps you need to take:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Cleaning and changing the water stations is always a good idea.
Alright! I'll keep an eye on that. I saw on the article that one of the signs of a crop disorder is loss of appetite, which she definitely doesn't have lol. If she is sick, she's hiding it very well. Other than the one toe, she seems to be eating and running around like normal.
I will note that the noise she (and the others) make when I come near them sounded off, like half-whine half-honk, but I think that was because of the excess water

Also here's what her foot looks like today. Still pretty swollen and it looks like the scales are chipped or something

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_131339.jpg
    IMG_20210707_131339.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 7
I would watch it for a few days to see if it gets better/worse.

Keep us posted.
Here's an update on her foot
I still haven't noticed a change in her mood or behavior and she isn't limping at all, so I guess that's good

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_092013__01.jpg
    IMG_20210710_092013__01.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 6
A bit of an update. The joints are tough now, but she can still bend them somewhat. They haven't grown in size, and she doesn't limp or flinch when I touch it.
The stuff under her scales, however, are apparently feathers. Not sure why they're growing there, though.
The only thing I could find from a Google search is that Welsummers have Cochin in their ancestry (from this post https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...feathers-on-legs-toes-what-is-going-on.59702/) other than that, she seems fine

Back
Top Bottom