Swollen Turkey Neck

AMecsics

Hatching
Aug 26, 2015
17 week old royal palm turkey ( I think it might be a Tom, hard to tell now that it's sick) has a swollen neck. It is lethargic, hanging way back from other Turkey's activities. They are slightly protective of it. His pink skin is a slightly more purple in hue than the others. It's neck is really swollen....maybe kinked?? I just noticed this evening. They are roosted for the night. I can check more in the morning. They are free range. We have a river running through the back yard and some slightly wet lands in surrounding woods that they frequent. Does gapeworm cause visible swelling in the neck?

Also found a soft egg in the chicken coop. The turkeys go in there during the day to eat. The egg wasn't in the nesting boxes, maybe it is a hen afterall and she layed while they were in there and it isn't a freak chicken egg after all? It was the same hue as the Americauna's green eggs. Can flukes cause neck swelling.

New to poultry this year. First big illness encountered. Help would be invaluable.

A

Welcome to BYC. Have you posted on the turkey here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys thread yet? Pictures may also help. Locate his crop and feel how it is since crop problems may cause swelling. I don' t have have experience with turkeys, only chickens, but here are some pictures of turkey anatomy and distended crops:

turkey-external-anatomy-with-labels-w640h480.jpg
3928932918_Big.jpg
imgp1639.jpg

Thanks for the link. I posted there as well. It is higher up and not as pronounced as those pics. Maybe something stuck in throat or swelling from a close encounter with a predator...but feathers aren't missing. I will try to get a hold of and feel for crop tomorrow though and take pics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom