Swollen vent and ?? Sticking out

Couple more stray thoughts. Nutrition-drench is always a good idea for a chick that is struggling (in my opinion). Direct dose is best, but can be given in water or food too.

Keep an eye on her energy level. Baths can be stressful and may not be a good idea if a chick seems very weak.

Did she eat well when you had her out by herself? If not you can try feeding her in the company of just one other chick. Sometimes having a buddy around makes them feel more secure and encourages appetite.

The electrolytes and probiotics are good for them. I just use ACV because that is what I use for my mature chicks. It is apparently very tasty to them and encourages drinking and it is a natural pro/prebiotic (I forget which).
Sometimes with pasty butt the vent will protrude from inflammation or irritation and will go back once it is no longer irritated. I find a lot of protruding vents in chicks with pasty butt. I was dealing with it all this past week. Fun times!
I am curious to know what is sticking in her vent. Does she have black feathers? Epson salts will help With the inflammation but coconut oil is the best for that.

Couple more stray thoughts. Nutrition-drench is always a good idea for a chick that is struggling (in my opinion). Direct dose is best, but can be given in water or food too.

Keep an eye on her energy level. Baths can be stressful and may not be a good idea if a chick seems very weak.

Did she eat well when you had her out by herself? If not you can try feeding her in the company of just one other chick. Sometimes having a buddy around makes them feel more secure and encourages appetite.
Baths... she actually likes the hair dryer! Her energy is very normal. She is sleeping or racing around the brooder chasing after the bigger girls. She is timid when they are eating, but that is more size. She has a good appetite and does drink but clearly needs more.

The first time we tried the wet mash, I held her and my daughter had to introduce her to the wet mash, which she nibbled and fell asleep. Then she realized what it was and gobbled it up. When I put the mash container (I had some in a small lid), the other girls went nuts over it. She got pushed out, so I made a second lid and she ate vigorously without being overwhelmed by the other girls. She is not the smallest, but being one of the two youngest, she is definitely the most timid.

How long can I leave the wet mash in the brooder alone? Like, will it mold or go bad before we get up in the morning? Lastly, in doing wet mash, how often is it recommended? I am looking to replace their dry feed with the wet mash (same feed) so to help her as well as keep the food area slightly(lots) cleaner, but I don’t want to feed them too little or leave it too long.

The electrolytes and probiotics are good for them. I just use ACV because that is what I use for my mature chicks. It is apparently very tasty to them and encourages drinking and it is a natural pro/prebiotic (I forget which).
Sometimes with pasty butt the vent will protrude from inflammation or irritation and will go back once it is no longer irritated. I find a lot of protruding vents in chicks with pasty butt. I was dealing with it all this past week. Fun times!
I am curious to know what is sticking in her vent. Does she have black feathers? Epson salts will help With the inflammation but coconut oil is the best for that.
Yes, she does have black feathers, but none around her vent.

Baths... she actually likes the hair dryer! Her energy is very normal. She is sleeping or racing around the brooder chasing after the bigger girls. She is timid when they are eating, but that is more size. She has a good appetite and does drink but clearly needs more.

The first time we tried the wet mash, I held her and my daughter had to introduce her to the wet mash, which she nibbled and fell asleep. Then she realized what it was and gobbled it up. When I put the mash container (I had some in a small lid), the other girls went nuts over it. She got pushed out, so I made a second lid and she ate vigorously without being overwhelmed by the other girls. She is not the smallest, but being one of the two youngest, she is definitely the most timid.

How long can I leave the wet mash in the brooder alone? Like, will it mold or go bad before we get up in the morning? Lastly, in doing wet mash, how often is it recommended? I am looking to replace their dry feed with the wet mash (same feed) so to help her as well as keep the food area slightly(lots) cleaner, but I don’t want to feed them too little or leave it too long.

Glad to hear she is so energetic! If she did that well with the bath, you can repeat it daily for a couple days and see if the swelling goes down.

As far as the wet mash, I am honestly not sure how long it would keep at room temp. A few hours is probably ok, I would think, but beyond that I am not sure. Might be worth asking in a new thread, in the feeding and watering your flock section, if you are thinking of switching them over completely.

I am curious as well! Hoping for a picture soon.

Ok, so we got a picture, and right now she looks pretty clean. The black thread like poopish thing was sticking directly out from the center of her vent. I saw it earlier today but did not see it in the photo.

Got coconut oil into her and on her vent. She definitely has not lost any energy or appetite. Still chirping when pooping, but hasn’t pooped since been given the oil tonight.

Her vent does look better on the outside than it did this afternoon.

Attachments

• 3B7EACAB-8F37-4AFF-B077-4A645C63A121.jpeg
    3B7EACAB-8F37-4AFF-B077-4A645C63A121.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 21
The black thread like poopish thing was sticking directly out from the center of her vent. I saw it earlier today but did not see it in the photo.
@CSAchook Has given you very good instruction/suggestions!

You mention a black thread like poopish thing - could it have been the umbilical cord? How's her navel look - is it healed over?

I would continue with keep her cleaned off like you are doing. Apply your coconut oil to the vent (monitor the vent and make sure the others are not picking at it - I see no picking at this time).
Wet mash is good to give. Mine like wet feed too.

Are you using a heat lamp where chicks eat 24/7? You can put the wet feed in during the day and change it regularly (chicks love to stand and poop in it :D) I usually give just small amount on a lid like you did. Dry feed is always available free choice too. You could leave wet feed overnight, but it's going to be yucky by that time.

Back
Top Bottom