swollen water filled darkened waddles! swollen face!

Help! I know that my rooster has scaley leg mites but where do I start. It's so thick on his legs I can actually break off pieces of it! So do I soak it first? Do I chisel it off? Do I scrape it off? Some one please lead the blind!
idunno.gif

ninnyl, uh not sure how your post got here lol but i can give you advice on scaly leg mites as i have gone thru it a time or two....last summer i had some hens with it i got at the flea market i did the vaseline thing lol amazing that vaseline is...BUT it gunked up there feets something fierce , but helped, recently my banty lil mean man got it, as you described it was built up in clumps, so last weekend while i was at Sallys beauty store i got a brainstorm, came home , grabbed up mean boy brought him inside, soaked his legs in warm soapy water for about 5 minutes, dried them and then painted on clear nail polish, then applied blow dryer, sounds crazy had never seen it as a remedy on here but with pine shavings in there house i knew vaseline would be crazy in cold and makes everything stick to there legs, Im happy to say now almost a week later, hes got a few lil places left which ill soak again tomorrow and apply more clear nail polish, it drys quick and smoothers those nasty mites, try it..........it works !!!!

Quote:
This needs to be stickied somewhere. AMAZING how resourceful this family of chicken owners is!!!

Quote:
Fluoroquinolones (baytril) and cephalosporins (cephalexin) are ILLEGAL for use in poultry. Meat and/or eggs are off limits forever if these drugs have been used .

FYI scaley leg can be treated by dipping the legs in mineral oil. It's much easier and less toxic than nail polish which has Phthalates, formaldehyde and toluene.

It does sound like fowl cholera. It is contagious and potentially treatable (though it can set up a chronic infection)--contact your vet ASAP!

Kimiko..please post the information that use of Baytril and cephalexin is illegal for poultry.

Ninnyl..severe Scaley Leg can be serious..not only does it cause discomfort for the bird..it can also cause bacterial and fungal infections, and can cripple the bird.
please do not use nail polish..Bag Balm or mineral oil are better options.

best to bathe the legs, some people scrub with very soft brush..but do be careful..make sure the bird is dry, apply the oil or Bag Balm.
if there are any sores, apply neosporin first..
try not to get any oil on the feathers..

repeat as needed..possibly once a week or more..

treat for mites.
Ectiban-D by durvet is a poultry dust (active ingredient permathrin).
some people use Sevin
some people use Ivermec/Eprinex drops on back of neck.

check the coop..clean it out.,.treat and get new bedding.

check and treat all your other chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
Baytril and all fluoroquinolones were banned 7/2005. The Merck Manual was last published in 2006 so it may not have made it into revisions. Cephalosporins were banned 7/2008.

I've sent a message to a moderator as I'm not sure where to post it and I think it needs to be prominent. It is illegal to use either drug in turkeys or chickens (or any food producing animal) and there is a LIFETIME withdrawal on eggs and, obviously, meat. The concern is antibiotic resistant Salmonella and Campylobacter.

The info on the ban is correct although the "withdrawal info is not.
the concern as usual is the industries overuse of antibiotics (treating entire flocks > thus unnecessary "prophylactic" usage ) which really isnt applicable to small backyard flocks where individual birds are given a perhaps one time only treatment or in the case where the birds are pets and not for meat.
Baytril is legal here in several european countries (gee... where is the MRSA outbreak?) and the feared effect on humans (resistance) is somewhat up in the air really if you go by this:
http://www.allaboutfeed.net/news/antibiotic-ban-no-effect-on-resistant-bacteria-id459.html
Antibiotic ban no effect on resistant bacteria 09 Mar 2007
A surprising finding by a team of University of Georgia scientists suggests that curbing the use of antibiotics on poultry farms will do little (if anything) to reduce rates of antibiotic resistant bacteria that have the potential to threaten human health.
Dr. Margie Lee, professor in the UGA College of Veterinary Medicine, and her colleagues have found that chickens raised on antibiotic-free farms and even those raised under pristine laboratory conditions have high levels of bacteria that are resistant to common antibiotics. Her findings, published in the March issue of the journal Applied and Environmental Microbiology, suggest that poultry come to the farm harbouring resistant bacteria, possibly acquired as they were developing in their eggs.
"The resistances don’t necessarily come from antibiotic use in the birds that we eat," Lee said, "so banning antibiotic use on the farm isn’t going to help. You have to put in some work before that."

Swapping genes
Bacteria swap genes relatively easily, and Lee explained that the concern is that drug resistance genes from bacteria that infect poultry could be passed on to bacteria that cause human illness. With these resistance genes, human bacterial illness could become harder to treat.
These concerns led the European Union to ban the use of antibiotics for growth promotion in chickens in 2006. In 2005, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned the use of the drug Baytril – the brand name for enrofloxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic – in poultry, citing concerns that it could lead to resistance in human antibiotics such as Cipro, also a fluoroquinolone.

Ban won't help
Several advocacy groups are pushing for a more comprehensive animal antibiotic ban in the United States, but Lee said her research plus the evidence from the Baytril ban suggests that this approach won’t help. "They banned Baytril in 2005, and if you look at Baytril resistance in campylobacter now it’s essentially unchanged," Lee said.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom