Swore I'd never do it, but...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Sep 24, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have always sworn that I would never raise chicks in the house and I haven't, so far.

I have eggs in the bator due to hatch in 8 days. I believe at least four will hatch. Problem is, the near constant broodies that I had that would have gladly taken the chicks were killed in a predator attack.

I can't bring myself to throw away perfectly good eggs. Guess I'll be doing some in the house brooding. [​IMG]

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    It had to happen sooner or later, there should be a support group for us.
    Quote:

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    So sorry your broodies got killed! Poor things.

You might just have a bit too much fun with the little chicks in the house. Watch out!

4. Annie75

Annie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Check out my topics about my recent chicken hatching stories... then you'll know that crazy should be all us BYC folk's middle names [​IMG] But it's sooooo rewarding. I mean it could be worse...you might be hatching eggs in your bra or in your jocks so in the house it pretty much....normal? https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=573536

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Why not just rig up a brooder outdoors?

[​IMG] for your loss.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Normally would, but there's only going to be a few of them and it's already turning cold.

7. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    It won't be that bad. Yes there will be a lot of peeping and sometimes you'll want to make nuggets out of them, but their cuteness compensate for it. This is me in March/April with the chicks we found. I had to take a crash course on chick keeping, and I found out that they prefer me as a source of heat than the desk lamp I put in their box...

[​IMG]

Also I became known as the crazy chicken lady in my guild. I ended up playing World of Warcraft and raiding with my own personal cheerleading squad. My guildies could hear them through the microphone XD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They even tried to tell me how to raid! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I have raised chicks in my home 4 times in an rabbit cage. I love it and have become addicted!! I found they end up more friendly later. I usually put them outside at about 7 weeks!! I have to stop because it's getting to cold to put them outside in 2 months. Hopefully i can get some more in the spring!!

9. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

"I'm sorry I facepulled that mob. It's Nugget's fault, I swear."

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]
    I love brooding in the house. When I finally put the brooder away for winter I miss the sound of happy chicks scratching around. It's such a sweet sound. Granted, I last about three weeks before I am ready to move them back outside. They get poopy, stinky, dusty at about three weeks and it is time for them to go out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by