symptoms of cocci and gasping in 3 wk old chicks

chickenlittle32

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Rayne Louisiana
I have a few chicks that are gasping and have their wings fluffed up. I think it could be coccidiosis. (no runny noses, sneezing, or coughing) I do not want to give them any antibiotics. Is there something more natural that I can do for them? It is only a few of them and I had already given them ACV. Is this going to work, and how often can I give this to them? (they are about 3 weeks old) Should I give them probiotics? Thanks!

Last edited:
If it's cocci antibiotics won't help anyhow. I like corid (amprolium), though I've heard it's hard to get in some areas. What do their droppings look like and have they been on medicated feed? If it is cocci it can take them fast at that age. Here's a link to the "poop page" it can be helpful to compare and hopefully tell what you have going on. Good luck!

http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=poop&action=display&thread=7588

Last edited:
I am sorry, I didn't reread what I typed before I sent. I added the antibiotics in there just in case someone thought it would be some type of breathing disease. They have always been on medicated feed...but I have read that some forms of cocci can withstand the medicated feed. Would cocci make them gasp?

Mine didn't gasp when they had cocci, they fluffed up, got lethargic, and had bloody stool. Maybe change your title to something like 3-week old chicks gasping and looking ill? It doesn't really sound like cocci based on my admittedly limited experience. Hopefully someone will come along soon who has had something similar in thier flock and can give you better advice.

Back
Top Bottom