1 day old chick gasping after water

ChristinaDynamicFarm

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2019
1 day old chick lost balance and it's face went a little deep into the waterer. Now it's gasping like it's short of breath. I read somewhere that it probably got water in its lungs and will develop pneumonia. That person gives antibiotics to the chicks when that happens, but they didn't say what kind, how to give, or of how much. I have Tylan 50 (50ml per mL), tetracycline, and another powder antibiotic that has Oxytetracycline, Amprolium, and Bahan mixed.

So it is possible to give it antibiotics and help it or is it normally not helpful and I should cull? I only have 2 chicks of that breed, so I am leaning towards not culling if possible.
Thanks in advance for your help.

How's the chick doing now? I wouldn't cull. And I don't know if I would put it on antibiotics either. I would make sure that it has fresh, dry bedding, a warm area, and withhold food and water for a day. Just my thoughts so maybe others will think differently!

How's the chick doing now? I wouldn't cull. And I don't know if I would put it on antibiotics either. I would make sure that it has fresh, dry bedding, a warm area, and withhold food and water for a day. Just my thoughts so maybe others will think differently!
Is she separating from others? Is she slumped or not acting normal by sleeping then eating and sleeping again? Does she and the others have a baby chick waterer?

Back
Top Bottom