Tag Team Broody Hens

SSWadian

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
NE Ohio
I think I've had 2 Buff Orpingtons (I can't tell them apart either) tag teaming a nest of 2 eggs. Was 4 but 1 cracked when I tried to move the 1st broody hen. When we candled at 10 days 1 wasn't progressing. Yesterday both were in the chicken yard. It's only the 2nd time I've seen that. I noticed 1 was off by herself puffed out & limping. Then I noticed the others attacking her! I fought my rooster & brought her in. Checked her all over for parasites, & checked if she was egg bound. Found no evidence of either. I bathed her in epsom salts, dried her, put her in a nest box in a large dog crate in the basement. I've given her vitamins in her water & scrambled eggs w oregano. Let her set overnight. Today I got her out. She didn't walk much but I didn't notice a limp. She seems fine except she will not get out of the nest box! Broody # 2 is out in the chicken yard, so I go check on the eggs & they're cold. It's probably a lost cause, but I brought them into my gal in the house & she seemed very pleased. Ugh, it's my 1st time w broodies & they're putting me through the ringer!

I was gonna post the same type of thing. I have three nest spots and 5 hens rotating between them. I marked a few eggs for them to keep and take the fresh ones. It seemed odd to me though to watch them rotate around. tonight I found on of the spots with 3 eggs still in it cold and abandoned. I'm pretty new but it does seem a bit odd to me. Hope yours hatch and mine to. And hope some one that can explain it all comes to tell us whats up.
Stick around most things are already answered if you search enough on here. This place is a gold mine of info.

I was gonna post the same type of thing. I have three nest spots and 5 hens rotating between them. I marked a few eggs for them to keep and take the fresh ones. It seemed odd to me though to watch them rotate around. tonight I found on of the spots with 3 eggs still in it cold and abandoned. I'm pretty new but it does seem a bit odd to me. Hope yours hatch and mine to. And hope some one that can explain it all comes to tell us whats up.
Stick around most things are already answered if you search enough on here. This place is a gold mine of info.
I think I've had 2 Buff Orpingtons (I can't tell them apart either) tag teaming a nest of 2 eggs. Was 4 but 1 cracked when I tried to move the 1st broody hen. When we candled at 10 days 1 wasn't progressing. Yesterday both were in the chicken yard. It's only the 2nd time I've seen that. I noticed 1 was off by herself puffed out & limping. Then I noticed the others attacking her! I fought my rooster & brought her in. Checked her all over for parasites, & checked if she was egg bound. Found no evidence of either. I bathed her in epsom salts, dried her, put her in a nest box in a large dog crate in the basement. I've given her vitamins in her water & scrambled eggs w oregano. Let her set overnight. Today I got her out. She didn't walk much but I didn't notice a limp. She seems fine except she will not get out of the nest box! Broody # 2 is out in the chicken yard, so I go check on the eggs & they're cold. It's probably a lost cause, but I brought them into my gal in the house & she seemed very pleased. Ugh, it's my 1st time w broodies & they're putting me through the ringer!
When we were at day 15 (momma still in the house), both eggs had movement & I adopted a chick not even 24 hrs old. It was someone's 1 & only incubator hatch, so had no momma or siblings. I was very nervous but she adopted the baby AND stayed on her eggs w a little help from me. Day 22 I went to candle eggs & 1 had pipped. The other failed sometime between day 15 & 22. A fully formed chick was inside. Momma & her 2 chicks are in a large brooder inside the coop & so far so good!

Attachments

• 20200516_191119.jpg
    20200516_191119.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 3
Ok so finally got pic uploaded here is a couple of the tag team hen and suprise even though Buddy the red cochin hatched the eggs they are both mothering the chicks.
20200521_133321.jpg

Back
Top Bottom